Are christians the only ones who know how to love?

Since I don't want to highjack another post, that was specifically for christians, I will ask this in my own. It was stated that "non" believers (of the christian god) do not know true love, and therefore believers can't call them "true" friends.

So, are christians the only ones who know how to love now? Do you feel non believers do not know how to love their neighbor, or their friends truly, within their hearts?
can someone explain this way of thinking, please?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sorry my question makes you uneasy. It's an honest question.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Yes, I know Jesus loves me, I love him too. He was a wonderful human being. Thank you!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• A person doesn't have to have ANY religion or faith to be able to LOVE.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I am Christian, and I saw that post, and I honestly was appalled. Actually, I was disgusted by many of the answers. My belief is that a true Christian would want to befriend non-Christians more than Christians, for conversion sake, etc. Though I don't believe in working that way and witnessing to people, etc.

To answer your question, anyone can love. It's ridiculous to think that you cannot love if you don't know God. How you you convert to God then if you don't know love (again, I'm trying to get in the head of the people who are big on converting people). And I hate the terms non-believer and unbeliever. So stupid and misleading. Everybody believes in something, just because they don't believe in God, doesn't mean they don't believe in something.
    Anonymous

• No they aren't, but you know how egotistical SOME of them can be. My husband and I are tantric. We are as one being and neither of us are of that particular faith. We are what SOME of them are striving to be. And while it's different for my friends I love each and every one of them too. I can love just as easily as anyone else.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I don't think so my dh is atheist and last I checked he loves me. I do mean TRUE love for all my fellow Christians. Any one can truly love.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I saw that...I bit my tongue out of respect for the poster who didn't want a debate. I guess it their belief and that's fine. I use to be a christian, but I no longer think I believe. I still know how to love. I still have a heart. I care about people. I think it may just be one of those things someone says that's so out there you just have to dismiss it?

sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I know God loves me...thank you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I saw the post that you are referring to and I just shook my head.  I think it is so pitiful to have to ask strangers or consult a book before you make friends.  Seriously???  When I meet someone new, their religious beliefs never cross my mind.  It makes no difference to me, the only thing that matters is the personality.   How sad is it that you think you can have nothing in common with someone of a different faith?  My best friend of 32 years in Christian.  Our friendship would not have lasted that long if we had nothing in common.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• What post did I miss! who would say you guys can't truly love, some of my very best friends aren't Christian my dh isn't I find that insulting to my friends and dh. So where is this.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2010