Reopening my question in regards to my last response. To befriend or not a nonchristian??

Someone said this ( see below) My response, In no way am i saying turn your back on nonchristian, what good would that do our world? On the other hand befriending is different, i would not hangout witha nonbeleiver when we do not share the most important thing( the love of Christ), but i would speak and conversate, i will not be stuckup around them. I mean think about it, your hanging out with people of the same faith, you can be open and ungarded, but hanginjg around people of other faiths you have to gard yourself ( continued next page)

I have to say that I'm disgusted by some of these answers. God calls us to spread His Word, not to other Christians, but to those who don't know Christ. You can and should be strong enough in your faith to be a true friend to anyone, no matter who they are. You are to be an example and a light to them. A true Christian would not turn their back on someone who needs to be told about God.

dkej242

Asked by dkej242 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Really Christians don't have alot in common with non Christians. We look at things in a completely different way than they do. Yes we should befriend them but our goal in befriending them is to lead them to Christ. Here is a few good tips in befriending non Christians

1.Remember your mission. Always be mindful that your purpose is to point your friends toward Christ.
    2.Your closest friends should be those who share your belief in Christ and can encourage you in your walk with Him.
    3. Being friends with non-Christians doesn't give us permission to love the things of this world or to participate in worldly behavior.

I am just reposting my answer :o)

ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• so that you will not fall victim of the devils tricks.
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I don't chose my friends because of their religion or lack or religion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• If my faith is strong, and God is there with me, then what do I have to guard against? If I have Jesus in my heart, then what do I have to fear? I worked for years in outreach for the homeless. Some were involved in drugs and did them right in front of me, some were involved in prostitution, some had problems with alcohol. None of those things influenced me. Granted, they were not friends, but I was with people like that several times a week. My faith did not become weak, it became strong. I have many good friends of all beliefs. We share many things in common and I wouldn't shut out someone from my life just because we didn't agree on God, especially since we have so many other things in common. If you turn people away, you may be turn away an opportunity God gave you. People shouldn't be so blinded by faith. I will say this, when I tried to have only Christian friends, my faith became weak, I wonder why that was?
    Anonymous

• tyfry7496: I don't consider loving Jesus a religion it is my life. You could not throw metel in water without it corroding.
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• ITA OP. Our love for others should be unconditional and selfless. Not to mention one's religious affiliation doesn't determine what kind of friend he/she may be.

Jesus himself befriended those who many Christians today would snub... But I guess that says something about Christians today...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• If you even have to ask yourself whether you should be friends with someone, the answer is no.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I will be open to anyone. I may not share beliefs with them, but like them I am not perfect. If asked I would explain what it is I believe, and if they feel as though that is for them great if not, then that is their choice. Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I'm at a loss to understand why you can't just hang out with someone without religion coming into the conversation! I don't recall a time when a lack of conventional religion ever stopped me from hanging out with my Christian friends. They're the ones who couldn't get over themselves and just have fun. When I was a teen,we'd go rollerskating,and my friend Ed is the one who wouldn't go unless it was Christian night. I'd go to his skate night,but he wouldn't go to ours. Isn't it tiring to constantly have to try to get everyone to your beliefs? To me,thats way too personal to ask of someone.
    Anonymous

• My dear to not be friends with them based on merely religion when there are so many other things you can have in common. That is being stuck up. It reveals a real quality in you that would cause me not to be your friend. I am Christian w/ an atheist dh and some of my best most reliable friends are non believers. Faith does not determine the kind of friend you will be. My former best friend is Christian I say former because she was not a good friend at all.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2010