i getting a kitten and i ahve a 0ne yr old daughter are there anymoms with pets ??? or is it a bad idea to mix kitten with toddler

SheilaAM

Asked by SheilaAM at 9:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is fine I have a cat and toddler, they get along great.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• MINE GOT ALONE .....MIGHT SCRATCH HER UP A LITTLE BIT IF SHE'S NOT DE CLAWED!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• If you start clipping the kitten's nails early you will be able to do it all the time. It's cheaper and safer than declawing. It is a challenge at first (one paw at a time). But it will save on your baby getting scratched, and kittens use anything for a launch pad. I did that with my kitten siamese and he sits like he's getting a manicure now!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• if he/she is anything like mine, then i dont know, she pulls their hair and the dogs will growl and snip at her but the cat is old so she takes it and then runs awaay, but if its a young kittewn then i dont know its up to you i guess. if you teach your child to be nice to it then mayb e, i guess it depends on the child.
    mama_crystal

Answer by mama_crystal at 9:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I had dogs before I had children, so I had them when my daughter was little, but if I hadn't already had them I would not have chosen to get any pets at that time. The problem with animals and babies ( or toddlers) is that they are all unpredictable. Inspite of all your best intentions, you never know how either of them is going to react. And when there are teeth and claws involved, it's not always a safe thing. If you are going to have a pet with a toddler I would recommend spending plenty of time teaching your child how to treat that animal carefully and with respect. That is what we have done with our daughter and it took a while for her to learn to be gentle, but she is pretty good with cats and dogs now.
    LoudMouthMama

Answer by LoudMouthMama at 3:28 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I have allways had a pet in the home till recently. And I had cats my entier life. That being said, while cats are a great pet to have, a kitten may not be the best choice. An oldercat maybe better choice. Kittens are like very active babies with very sharp teeth and claws. The kitten will have to learn not to bit and not to claw. I used to train kittens. Your child will get bit, scrached and it does hurt. there is just no avoiding it will a kitten.
    Anonymous