SMALL CHILDREN PLAYING IN THE STREET

My neighborhood has several families with small children who are allowed to play and ride their trikes, scooters, etc., in the street.

Would you let you child do that?

Who is RESPONSIBLE if a child gets hurt/hit by a car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't, it doesn't matter if the kids are allowed in the street whoever runs them over is responsible
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 9:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• NO I wouldn't. My old street was that way and I couldn't stand it! I moved a year after I became a mom. The whole street would hang out on their steps all day and they even put pools on the sidewalk! Geez ppl join a swim club and take your kids places for once!
    Anonymous

• Hmmmmm. I grew up in a neighborhood where kids ran wild. I had the best childhood ever. Obey the Slow Children signs and enjoy the last piece of american past times there are. If you can't appreciate children running around and playing and having fun you can move. No one needs an Old Maid.
    Anonymous

• I think it is irresponsible for people to allow their kids to play in the street. It gives them kids the idea that it is a safe place to play. It is not.

My neighbor's kid was hit by a car because he ran out (from between two cars) and was barely hit but was knocked down. The driver was a nervous wreck and the child did get hurt. The mom was inside the house and came out screaming at the driver.

So, to answer the question, let the kids play in their yards, in the parks, etc. The street are for motor vehicles, not kids.
    Anonymous

• I have kids on my street that are under five riding bikes that are way too big them with helmets or protective gear and live on a pretty steep hilled street. We also live on a cul-de-sac so all of the kids hang out at the end. There is no adult supervision what so ever. I am all for kids playing and having fun but I think it should be done with the understanding that there should be at least one adult within eye and earshot especially when the kids are preschool and elementary school age. I too grew up in an age where we could ride our bikes and play in the street unsupervised but that was a different time. These kids have no respect for other peoples property driving over the grass of all of the neighbors yards with their bikes and scooter as well as leaving their trash everywhere. I think someone responsible should be out there to keep an eye on everyone and make sure that they are all being respectful. to be continued...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My son doesn't play with them yet because he is not old enough but when he does I will be out there to keep a watchful eye.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• call the police
    Anonymous

• I think it is a form of "child endangerment". It is just too dangerous anymore. I think it is very irresponsible for people to let kids play in the street. That is what back yards and parks are for. It is just common sense to teach kids that the street is not a safe place to play on.

I would call police and have them decide whether it is appropriate for kids to play in the street if I were you.
    Anonymous