What are some first steps to switching to all Organic Diet?

Redeemed171

Asked by Redeemed171 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Health

• Buying organic, lol.
    Anonymous

• step 1 - BUY IT
    step 2 - COOK IT
    step 3 - EAT IT
    not that difficult to do.
    Anonymous

• You ladies are funny!

I buy a lot of organic, but some is not worth it. Basically I buy all organic meat and dairy, but fruits and vegetable I only buy organic if we are going to eat the skin, otherwise I buy regular
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 10:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Do some research. Watch Food, Inc or another documentary on where your food is coming from. Be aware that just because something is organic, does not mean that it is good for you. Anything can be sweeted with organic sugar or have tons of organic salt added and be just as bad for you.
    Also, look into your local farmers market. Sometimes buying local (even if it isnt organic) is a much healthier and better choice.

Avoid processed foods. Buy organic milk, meat, and especially fruits and veggies but like PP said, it doesnt make much difference on produce with a thick skin (bananas, avacados, oranges)
    See if your local supermarket has a store organic brand. Mine does and it is usually cheaper than the non organic name brand.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• If you are wanting to go organic but are worried your budget won't allow it, start with the items you eat the most. For example, my daughter loves apples, so I get those organic every time. We aren't big meat eaters, so I worry less about that. When it comes to your dairy products (and eggs) you could start by checking the labels to see which brands are using artificial growth hormones and which ones aren't, and then make your purchases accordingly. It's not as great as going organic, but it's a start and it's cheaper.
    Go back to your gorcery store and see what organic items they carry, before running over to the more expensive organic foods store. Then check out your local organic farmers. Buying items in season is another way to save!
    Last but not least, remember this, crap is crap. Even though you can find plenty of junk food in it's organic version, don't waste your money on it. It still won't be good for you.
    LoudMouthMama

Answer by LoudMouthMama at 3:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the replies/ And yes Very funny Ladies
    God Bless
    Redeemed171

Answer by Redeemed171 at 3:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• The Environmental Working Group publishes a guide to organic produce: http://www.ewg.org/ We follow the "clean 15 / dirty dozen fairly closely, except for corn; I only buy organic corn because genetically modified foods terrify me.

The Non-GMO project publishes a guide to genetically modified foods: http://www.nongmoproject.org/

Feel free to send me a message offlist if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2010