how do i keep my lactation going?

my mother had a problem making enough milk when my siblings and i were all babies. as a result, she formula fed us. i want to breastfeed my daughter. however, i'm not making enough, so, all the doctors told me to supliment with formula. then i got very sick, and the same doctors told me to use a pump and dump my milk as the drugs i was on could hurt my baby. now that i'm off the prescriptions, i can go back to breastfeeding.

now, my breasts went from making about 10 oz a day to under 2. any info on how to get my supply going again?

JBJ1025

Asked by JBJ1025 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump, nurse, pump, and nurse!!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• nurse as often as you possibly can. It can take up to a week to rebuild your supply. Nurse baby, then pump, then nurse, then pump. ETC.

You CAN do it.
    Also, fenugreek and Mother's milk Tea is good and helping boost supply.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Nurse nurse nurse nurse. The next time you are medication consult with someone who knows about the details of drugs and breastfeeding. Do a search for "Dr. Hale" And if you are measuring by pumping, don't measure that way. No pump is as efficient as a baby. However, if you do want to use pumping to reduce the amount of forumla and help the process you need to learn how to pump efficiently and to use massage and hand expression to help the pump: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• also visit http://www.drjacknewman.com/ and also http://www.kellymo.com/ and get free help from your local LLL.
    You may also want to look into a supplemental nursing systemd. I'm sure you will get other great tips on using fenugreek and mother's milk tea.

Oh and to stimulate supply (even if you get nothing) pump on one side while baby feeds on the other, and also pump between feeds. The more your breasts are emptied and stimulated the more your body will be signaled to make.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Pump as much as you can, eat a small snack about every 2 hrs,fruit spinach,healthy stuff, let your baby nurse as much as she wants. The biggest thing to get you supply up is not to think about it, relax as much as possible. I had the same issue when my son was born I spent 2 days, with my son with me at all times, and my supply went through the roof, there is something about being next to your own baby that will make you produce more hormones and milk.

MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 10:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• i wish i would have known all this when my supply went down the tube and i didnt know how to build it back up. i just gave up but i really wished i would have breast fed longer. but at least she got 3 months.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• If all the above advice doesn't work, you have genetic issue and won't be able to exclusively breastfeed.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Nurse on demand. What you pump does not tell you what your baby gets while nursing. When you are EBF, if you are changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, and your baby is gaining, your supply is fine. I fear that you might have been given incorrect information on medication. There are very few medications that are unsafe while nursing. My advise is to nurse as often and for as long as possible, and count diapers. How long has baby been NOT nursing? How old is baby? And in the beginning, how did you know you were not making enough? I also urge you to contact your local LLL. Go to their meetings. They're free, and helpful. If you answer the questions I've asked, I may be able to offer more advice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• Legalmommy didn't seem to understand that you WERE making a lot of milk just fine--by pumping no less which is far more difficult--so obviously you do not have the exceedingly rare genetic issue the prevents you from making milk.

The death knell for supply issues is usually bad advice about supplementing without a SNS, schedules, poor pumping technique, and medications that interfere with milk producing hormones.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• "Legalmommy didn't seem to understand that you WERE making a lot of milk just fine--by pumping no less which is far more difficult--so obviously you do not have the exceedingly rare genetic issue the prevents you from making milk."

10oz is not a lot of milk per day and she also stated that her mother had milk supply issues. Lastly, issues that prevent women from having or even sustaining a milk supply aren't as rare as you think.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2010