Is this a Nursing Strike?...

I strictly breastfed my son only up to 1 week after he was born. I was then told I had to start supplementing him because he was losing too much weight. This lead to a world of hell. I cannot compete with formula, so I just don't try. I don't satisfy my son enough to just try and go back to strictly breastfeeding. As I do not want to completely throw breastfeeding out the window... I would like to breastfeed at least once a day. Just 2 days ago one of my son's doctors gave him some different formula to try, because the formula he was getting from WIC wasn't working for him. We had him on Enfamil Gentlease(and WIC doesn't cover it) and that worked the best for him and we were trying to find a Similac that was comparable. Well, today I go to try and nurse him and he just started screaming, would not take my breast... and I then made a bottle and he took it right away. What is going on here? He just nursed a day ago!

fmaziarz

Asked by fmaziarz at 11:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, and before someone complains that no one aknowledges genetic or hormonal problems that prevent milk production you may want to rule out IGT.  Here is a website where you can self-diagnose  http://www.noteveryonecanbreastfeed.com/   keep in mind that this condition is NOT about small breasts, but about undeveloped breasts.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• This seems more like a preference to the flow of a bottle nipple. How old is he now? And how is his weight doing? How long have you been supplementing?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• He will be 3 months old on the 22nd of March. (2 days) He just got weighed on Friday and he was 13 lbs even. We've had to supplement since he was almost a week old. Because he was born 8 lbs 15 oz and then he lost weight and went down to 6lbs something and the doctors made us start supplementing. I guess I wasn't making enough... I still can't compete with the formula. I guess my milk isn't as filling.
    fmaziarz

Answer by fmaziarz at 11:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• If he's thriving on formula then stick with it and don't feel bad about it... You can bond with your baby formula feeding as well as breastfeeding.. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• It wasn't that your milk isn't "Filling". You MAY have a production problem, but there is no way to tell because a week is not really enough time to build supply.    Did they try to have you pump to add to feedings at all?     There could have been a lot of things going on. Poor latch is quite common -- you make the milk but the baby doesn't get it. Have you tried a supplemental nursing system? That way you can supplement and build your own supply? Check out http://www.drjacknewman.com/  There are a lot of videos and information. There is info too on the SNS and building supply. It's worth it if it means a lot to you.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2010

• I would pump and bottle feed in a situation like that..I agree with fast flow preferrance
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I have Tubular Hypoplastic Breasts. =(
    fmaziarz

Answer by fmaziarz at 1:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It's normal to lose weight. Once he lost it, did he gain it back? I can't say for sure, but you may not have needed to supplement in the first place. I think they are "allowed" to lose up to 10% of their birth weight, and it can sometimes take a week or two to get back to birth weight. If the loss was more then that, or he wasn't gaining, then I can understand discussing supplementation, but I don't know what his percentage was and how his gain was after the initial drop. Here's what I think: I think it might be possible to EBF if you want to, but you need to see an IBCLC, or contact La Leche League. LLL meetings are open to all moms and are free. In person support, and advice, and more information then I can give you, and hands on help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2010