mark 9:1 what it mean?

And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power."

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 12:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, the kingdom of God doesn't necessarily refer to heaven, but to a time on earth - there is debate as to what this time will entail. Some believe it means the thousand year reign, I personally believe it means when (and if) we as humanity in general learn to become Christ-like (although not necessarily Christian, as I believe Christ is just one of many who show us how to live up to our potential, to the ideal God has for mankind), in learning to be loving and compassionate and so on. I believe it is possible - we see institutions like the UUA where people of different beliefs can come together in harmony and respect - although I believe it will take a very, very long time if it happens....
    Either way, if the kingdom refers to a time on earth, it would make sense that there would be people alive on earth when it happens.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It may also mean that the Kingdom of God - like the kingdom of plants, or the kingdom of animals of the kingdom of man - is not a PLACE, but is a STATE or a CONDITION. The next step up from being animal is being man, the next step up from that is God.

When we die, we leave our physical existence on earth, our being limited to "man", and we ascend to a more angel-like condition which could be called the Kingdom of God. And in that condition, we are aware of the spiritual realm around us.

From time immemorial, some people have been graced with awareness of the spiritual while still alive. They've been called Initiates and Prophets. Those who were privileged to be in the Presence of Christ were certainly highly-developed individuals. And it would not be far-fetched that they would see the Kingdom of God before dying - like Prophets before them.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:28 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I believe this generation will find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I believe that Jesus was referring to the event in Mark 9:2-8( read also Luke 9:29-35). He took Peter, James, and John with up the mount. He was allowing them to see Him in His Heavenly glory, accompanied by Moses and Elijah, with the voice of the Father as evidence of Who He is. He was strengthening them for what was to come (His humiliating death).
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Jesus was telling them about his second coming--the apocalypse, the end of the world, the great judgment. I can see where the christians will interpret god's "real" meaning as being something else (god, the divine ventriloquist,lol), especially as it is over 2,000 years later, the people who were supposed to be alive at the return of Jesus have turned to dust, and there is still no sign that he is EVER going to show up.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• There are a million and one references it could be compared to. I have been told it was referring to the two disciples left to roam the earth until Christ return to earth. This reference makes the most sense to me.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2010