Pregnant with a diagnosis of diabetes

My husband and I are 29 years old & we've been married for almost 10 yrs. We decided to ttc this year. The first thing I did was change my blood pressure med to one that I could take while preg. During my dr. visit in Feb the dr. decided to do some blood work b/c I had irr periods. She thought that may mean I had PCOS. My glucose was 110 so she scheduled the 2 hr. blood/glucose test thing. After fasting, it was 118 and 308 after. She diagnosed me as diabetic and prescribed metformin. Anyway, my husband and I had been ttc since Jan 23. On Feb 25 she made this diagnosis. She wanted to see me back in May. So, my husband and I decided to hold off on ttc. But, on March 17, I took a home preg test and it is +. I've been testing before and after at least one meal per day like she said to do. So far my readings are usually around 90 -100 before and under 200 after. Do you think this would cause problems w/my preg?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Health

• It could cause a problem, but pregnant women with diabetes and women who get diabetes during pregnancy is common. You need to see your doc WAY sooner than May, and it is important for you to closely monitor your blood sugar, but the docs are gonna want you to keep it in check, and may put you on a special diabetic diet. Women with diabetes also often have a large baby, so this is something they will want to watch closly also. Just call your doc on MOnday and let her know you are pregnant so you can get in there and start getting checked now. Im sure all will be just fine.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the info and support. I have only taken 3 hpt (+). I go to the baby dr. on Wednesday. Should I see my other dr. before or after that appt? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
    MyaLee

Answer by MyaLee at 12:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It might, you need to follow your Drs recommendations. In fact you should have a high risk OB and if you don't, find one. Yo umust keep your blood sugar at a good level. I had Gestational diabetes and your diet is the most important thing. 2 of my 3 were born early and though over 6 lbs they had serious lung problems. Just get the right Dr and follow their recommendations.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I'm a type 2 diabetic and I've had 2 healthy pregnancies since I've been diagnosed. I took metformin and glyburide during my entire 2nd pregnancy. Some doctos have a motto of "no medication is the best option during pregnancy" and you may be given insulin. I've also taken insulin during both my pregnancies. It's important to have excellent control of your diabetes when pregnant. You want to be under 100 in your morning fasting number and 120 or less 2 hours after meals. So you may have to adjust your diet and/or medication. Excerise can help BG levels during pregnancy. I was sent to an endocrinologist during my pregnancies to monitor my diabetes closely and my A1c during my pregnancies was 5.1 and 5.6, which are excellent.

You may have more frequent ultrasounds (I had about 5 or 6 each pregnancy) and you may be induced at 39 weeks as our placentas tend to deteriorate sooner than non-diabetics. Feel free to PM me!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2010