How often do you bathe your indoor dog(s)?

Wondering what is normal/appropriate? I don't want to over do it but they are indoor dogs so I like to keep them clean and groomed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Pets

• my 85lber i can only bath him in the summer myself (outside with the hose)...hes to big for the bathtub..lol..so i take him to the groomers, in october (to get his hair trimmed, because we have big trees in the back and the lil sticks and what not get caught in his fur..soooooo annoying!!) then i take him again right before christmas so he smells nice for all the company..lol..then i will take him again in may to get another lil trim, all pretty for summer...then during the summer i usually do him a couple times with the hose...

and my 2 lil dogs (theyre about 12lbs each) i bath them myself every 3-4 weeks...theyre white dogs, sooo when they get dirty it drives me crazy...lol..and they get dirty very quick roughhousing with my 85lber..and they go to the groomers to get completely shaved in beg. of summer...and again at christmas with the other dog..and maybe one other time in between..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:44 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You should try not to bathe them more than once a month.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Most dogs don't need to be bathed that often, actually. They only need to be bathed when they begin to smell. For dogs that require grooming to keep their long hair in good condition and free of mats, every 6 weeks is good for grooming trips, otherwise, they just need regular brushing.

Can it be done more frequently? Sure, but more than once a week can really dry out their skin. It is especially important to use a pet specific shampoo because their skin is a different pH and can dry out really badly if you use human products. If you bathe often, an oatmeal or fatty acid shampoo is ideal.

Of course, if you are bathing for skin issues and medical problems, follow your vet's instructions.

My own dog (a lab) hasn't had a bath since the fall. She just doesn't smell, so I don't have to bathe her often. She gets a de-shedding brush out from time to time (and of course nail trim and ear clean regularly), but that's about it.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 1:44 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• usually once a week, or everyother week. shes not fully inside, but i dont like a dirty dog in the house.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• For our bigger dogs we bathe them once a month outside when the weather is warm. For the 2 Yorkies we have one who sweats and she just gets so nasty that she needs bathed once a week (she is also in the process of becoming furry again....a food allergy caused all of her fur to fall out and we had to switch to Blue Buffalo dog food for all 5 dogs so that she could have food that won't trigger allergies--her previous owners forgot to mention she had a food allergy OR that she sweats like she's in a sauna 24/7) and the other we bathe every 2-3 weeks because he's got such long fur.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Once every month or two. She is tiny and does not play in dirt or mud.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• In the winter they get bathed once a month. In the summer, they get bathed more often depending on where we go. It is not good to over bathe them but we spend a lot of time at the lake and they have access to a cow pasture so are times when it is just neccesary.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Ours go in and out as they please. They are inside when the weather isn't perfect. They play together and get really smelly and muddy. They need a bath every week but they don't always get it. I can't have a mud soaked dog or a compost covered dog or a dead opossum covered dog... they are so gross. We use a lot of conditioners on them and supplement them to protect their skin.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• every couple weeks and it also depends on what we do and how the weather is if we go to the dog park they go in the water so they get a bath when we get home
    Anonymous

• Mine are inside dogs, but they get so dirty when they play outside. They run all over the yard (through grass/dirt/mud), wrestle, and bite each other. I try to only bathe them every two weeks, but sometimes I have to every week. With my two, I just can't imagine only bathing them every couple of months...they would be SO nasty!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2010