I feel like the worst mom ever...I shoved my son today, similar experience?

Today I was out shopping with my son (he is 2 1/2) and he was pushing a cart, he decided to start driving backwards and his foot kind of got hung on my toe-nail. It bent my toe back and HURT, before I even thought about it I just reacted and pushed him forward off my toe. Immediatly after I did it I felt terrible, horrible. He wasnt upset or crying, honestly I think he knew I was just trying to get him off my toe but I felt so bad. I kept thinking omg, if someone saw that what in the world would they think, and what if he would of hit his head on the cart he was pushing. I have been so upset about this all day, I feel like the worlds worst mother. Please no bashing, I already feel bad enough, I just wanted to get this off my chest and I guess see if anyone hada similar experience or what you would think if you saw this hapepn. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, honey, you didn't do anything wrong!!! I read the title and thought "OMG who would shove a toddler?!" But you didn't maliciously shove him at all! I've done similar things as well, where my daughter hurts me and I just react. You obviously didn't knock him sprawling or hurt him. If I had seen the whole thing happen I would have known what was going on and asked if your toe was okay!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• The fact that you are posting this after feeling bad and still feeling bad enough to post makes you a good mom! If you were a bad mom you would not feel terrible and let alone come on here and seek empathy! Chin up girly it happens, we are not perfect but you KNOW you love your child and are doing the best you can, as are most of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Just make sure to give him a hug, and say sorry! I try to remember that with my daughter, and I think we've all done that out of quick reaction! I've done that to my daughter because she's stepped on my bare foot with her hard shoes! UGH!
    Talk about OWCH!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Ahh...Girls thank you so much. I have been beating myself up all day. I do love him more than anything and wouldnt hurt him intentionally for the world.
    Anonymous

• Thats exactly what it was just a quick reaction, and I had flip flops on and he had boots on so it was bad. I did tell him sorry. I even sat down with him after we got home and told him how much I love him and how bad I felt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Not at all. My daughter was picking on my son today and wouldn't stop when I told her, so I threw a DVD case at her. I've so got you beat!
    inkymommy

Answer by inkymommy at 12:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No,

Just try to think before acting. You obviously care, and had no ill intentions. Think before doing, and when upset, wait to react until you've calmed down. It helps me wonders.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• oh goodness, don't worry about it. My dd is 19 months and sometimes will come step on my foot with her shoes on. It's a reaction to push them off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Oh don't even worry about that it wasn't like you were shoving him because he was in your way or because you were just being a jerk, I've pushed my son off of me once or twice without even thinking about it. But it's not like you were pushing him hard enough to hurt him it was just a get off of me push. Although I just have to say in inkymommy's case that was completely inappropriate, it's not a reflex to throw a DVD like it is to get something away from you that is physically hurting you. And throwing something at someone is always a malicious act you can push someone away without trying to be mean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My 16 month old son hit my 4 month old daughter in the head the other day while I was breastfeeding her. My reflex was to reach out and push him back away from her. But I did it really fast and kinda rough. He started crying like I hurt his feelings, and then I felt really bad. But I told him no hitting sister!! I of course picked him up later and hugged and kissed and told him I was sorry. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Mar. 21, 2010