Do you think it's wrong to give children prescription antipsychotic drugs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes. I would never give my kids medicin unless it was life threatening. I think kids will be kids. My 4 yr old DD sometimes acts like she is ADD but I would never put her on medicine. I don't think kids should be medicaitaed. But whi knows I could be wrong. I guess I say follow your heart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No, I don't think it's wrong. I just watched a report about this group of children who are seriously mentally ill. One has tried to hurt herself to get away from the voices in her head and "the man" that always is there, telling her do to things, one truly believes that things like days of the week and numbers, colors, etc, talk to her, tell her things, have relationships with each other, etc - as if they were people. One has tried to kill herself and members of her family, etc.

All of these children were seriously ill and in need of help, and yes, they needed anti psychotic meds.

To WITHHOLD meds that a child needs, simply because we have a preconceived idea about them, is JUST as bad as GIVING a child meds that they don't need, simply because we don't want to bother with parenting them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• ummm........YES!
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Oh, and I should add that while my ds wasn't like the kids I just mentioned, my ds is ADHD. He was diagnosed at a very young age - a very extreme case. Yes, we used meds - but it wasn't the ONLY thing we did. We worked with the Drs (there were several), and we used the meds as a way to sort of break into the world / cycle he had gotten into, and taught him behavior modification techniques, how to be able to self identify when he was getting out of control, how to handle it, how to channel himself in a positive way, etc. We also did diet modification to eliminate his 'trigger foods" (btw, it rarely is sugar for true ADHD kids), etc. Once he was able to handle things without the meds - even though it was harder to do it - he went off the meds. Now, he's 17, an honors student, involved in a lot, happy, well mannered and popular.

It was no different to us than how we got our dd the glasses she needs.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:18 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No, if it's given by a licensed doctor, and used properly.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Not if they need them. I think it's wrong to not treat a serious mental disorder.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• How could you people say "yes"?????? What is wrong with you? So you think it's ok for a chicd to grow up having multiple people in their head? dillusional? Angry? SCREWED UP???? So I guess your the same parents that don't get the vaccines that endanger other children too... I'm with justanotherjen... It's wrong to let your child suffer and put themselves and others in danger. People that can't get their children the help they need SHOULDNT be having children. OMGosh, I know I cant change how someone feels about something, but I just dont see how people can be so careless. It does not make you superMOM to be all organic and anti everything. BOOOOO people that insult the hard work that people do to give cures for these terrible issues kids (that end up being our future's adults) have.!!
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 2:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No, some kids really need them! I know that a lot of times though, kids do NOT need them, so parents should exercise caution.

CM2TX08 - just curious, how are non-vaccinated kids an endangerment to other kids? How do vaccines compare to drugs for mental disorders? And neither of them are "cures" for anything. They are just prevention and treatment measures.
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 2:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• If we're talking antipsychotics than we're talking about SERIOUS MEDICAL ISSUES. Not just ADD or minor behavioral issues. A psychiatrist who knows what he/she is doing would never, ever, ever, ever prescribe such serious drugs unless the kid had very serious issues. In that case of course. You wouldn't refuse a handicapped child a wheelchair. It is similar.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It's not wrong if they have a psychotic disorder. Psychosis can be life threatening depending on the nature of the delusions and hallucinations. Also allowing psychosis to go on long term can permanently alter the way the brain functions.

If your child has a psychotic disorder and you don't treat it, that's just negligent. It's like not giving them insulin for diabetes.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2010