Anyone else name their baby a name the family hated?

I named my daughter Giavanna Michelle Charisse. My mom hated it and begged me to name her something else. Ever since she was born I've gotten an "oooh okay... that's different" whenever I told someone her name. I think its beautiful, but my mom's side of the family think its ugly.. anyone else go through this?

KayLundy3

Asked by KayLundy3 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I like it, but I like Italian names and I like different names lol, it will grow on people as she grows.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I named my son Isaiah and I still get "oh that's different". Who cares what other people think. As long as you like it, and hopefully your daughter grows up to as well, nobody else's opinion matters. When people tell you it's differen't just say yep!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• not yet..but...if i ever have a boy ive ALWAYS wanted to use the name austin..i looooooove that name...however, noone in my family does..so...yaa..everytime i say that, they all shake their heads and say no...whatever tho!!

my sis is kinda in your situation tho...she chose names for her kids that would be unisex...so..when she was pregnant, didnt matter what she had, the kid was gonna be named skylar..in my opinion thats a girls name..luckily she had a girl..lol...then she got pregnant again and said whatever she had was gonna be mackenzie..wellllllll..to me and pretty much the rest of my family thats a girls name as well..buuuuuuut she ended up having a boy..and 7yrs old now..and i dont think ive ever called him by his first name..i call him mac...mackenzie is just to girly..bu to each their own!! my daughters name is alexis...and ive been told that can be a boys name too..so...yaaa..ya never win!!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My daughter's name is Aura, and most people say its pretty but some people look at me like I named her poopface. You have to do what makes you happy, if its beautiful to you, its beautiful. I like different names and Italian names, but that is me. You couldn't make everyone happy anyway. If you had named her Mary, someone would have disliked it. Better that you like it!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My DD's first name is Ava which is always greeted with a "I LOVE THAT" but then they ask her middle name & when I reply Keegan we usually get a "well thats different" or "you should have used Diane or Grace".

This DD is Emery Morgan.... which isn't being welcomed so warmly.

I don't care, they're my children, not theirs. They had their time to name children... leave me alone!!
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 2:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yep - few family members liked my sons name.

We love it - it is Paxton. I didn't care who hated it. That is his name :-)
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 2:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I love that name by the way. All my boys have a "C" name. Cam'ron Christian and Corbin. ....BTW by some wierd coincidence My bother, sister and I all have "R" names and Dh and his sister have "M".... We NEVER noticed until late last year. Anywho, We named DD Gabrielle Sayuri... My mom wanted to know why a Nigerian would give her daughter a Japanese middle name. I said because its beautiful and it has meaning. The boys picked the middle name out of a book before she was born. Turns out the meaning held true. Anyway, I feel like I dont care if I named my baby Pilot Inspecktor(by the way a real baby name), its my decision to name my baby whatever.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I sure did. My oldest son's name is Dartanian Anthony. Everyone hated it. Family wanted to call him Tony or Tanner. I told them that if they wanted to speak to my child they could call him by his given name or don't talk to him at all. Well, it is now 17 years later and everyone loves it. Sure, it was a big name for a little baby but he has grown into it...... my other three are Devin Alexander, Jaidengrace, and Jenahvieve Mary.... I don't care what others think... they are my kids and if they don't like their names as they get older they can come up with a nickname...
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 2:39 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No and I don't usually comment on the names others choose for their children. My grandson's mom told us for 5 mos. that a boy was going to be named Zariah Presley and by the time he was born it had grown on me (at first I was a little unsure about it). For the 1st 12 hours he was Zariah and then she changed her mind and named him Ayden Sky. He's 4 and in preschool now and I am NOT even kidding....there are 6 little boys in his class and every one of them is named Aiden/Ayden/Aden. They go by their 1st name and last initial except for 2 little boys who have the same last initial so 1 goes by his 1st name and middle name. She should have stuck with Zariah!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I did. My family didn't accept my son's name, Malek, for a long time. I told them that while I was taking a bath, I heard a voice say to me "YOU WILL NAME THE CHILD, MALEK RASHAD!" Turns out the names mean He who worships God and King.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 2:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2010