Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question about first time selling a vehicle?

My husband sold his 97' vehicle for 1,800, the man paid it cash and my husband signed the paperwork but he didnt know he had to turn in the license plates, so now how can we track it to know the last 4 digits of the vin number and the plates? because the man doesnt want to answer. Now my inlaw is saying that if that man gets in trouble with the law my husband might get in trouble too since its probably still under his name.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (1)
  • Honestly, I would call the DMV or the licensing department and explain to them. They're going to have the car's info in their system. It will probably be a pain in the butt, and take some extra paperwork, but you do need to report the sale, and you do need to get this transferred out of your name.

    But, each State has a different way that they do this (lol, we move a lot, and have lived in a lot of States, that's how I know that...), and they should be able to tell you how.

    Oh, lol, if you know how to contact the guy, but he's not contacting you back about it, you could consider telling him that if he doesn't get with you to finish the transfer of the title, etc, then you'll have to consider reporting the car as stolen...

    Though I would NOT do that until you contact the DMV or the Title and Licensing Bureau.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.