How can you make your criminal record clean again?

I have a friend that got in trouble with the law by committing theft and he got arrested for one day and now its still on his record even though it occured back in 2006, and he wants to progress so he was wondering how he can remove that from his record? What kind of lawyer does he have to go to and how much do u think it'll be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• was it a felony or a misdemeanor? I know that here in wisconsin you can pay to have a misdemeanor taken off your record by a judg. but a felony reqjuires that it was a non violenet offence and that no other offenses have occured and you can get a pardon from the governor and have it removed
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Umm this is why people need to think before they do something that can f*** up their futures. I'm sorry but theft is not something you can just pretend you never did. The judge can expunge a record but I don't think you can pay anybody too...unless you're extremely rich and powerful. He is just going to have to own up to his mistake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You have to plead with a judge to remove it...

I'm not sure you can with an adult record though... You should call your local court house clerk for details... I think with a Juvi record, you write a letter to the judge explaining why you feel it should be exsponged. Then they'll still choose yes or no for ya.

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• it costs $1000 to get a misdemeanor expunged
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It all depends on where you live. 2 years ago, I got in trouble for shoplifting. I paid all of my fines, to the court and to the store. After 6 months, I was elegible to have it expunged. I plan on having it taken care of next month. I know that here in Oregon, it is going to cost me $187. That is for the expungements fees and the finger print card that I am required to get.

Oh, and I was almost 19 when this happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Is expunged dissappeared? My friend wants to be a cop so he wants it erased!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• when i went to get my record erased, they told me that it will still always be there, but ppl wont be able to see it, like when ya go for a job and get a background check, they wont see it, but, the court system will still see. so if hes going in to be a cop, i am pretty sure they will still be able to see it, if they dig deep enuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Depends on the state and it was treated as a felony or misdemeanor. 2006 wasn't that long ago.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I think that if you pay all the fines and stuff, and have no further arrests, you can get a misdemeanor erased after 10 years, but unless it was something pretty mild his chances of becoming a cop is pretty much toast. It also depends on if he was convicted of it or just arrested and let go. If it was just an arrest, then he has no record.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2010