How can i stop my baby from rolling over in her sleep?

Shes right at 8 months and for a while now when she sleeps she rolls to her belly and buries her face down into the bed and it really freaks me out. No matter how many times i roll her back to her back she just goes right to her tummy with her face buried down again. But I had a wedge thingy but she just rolls right over it

Jessaroo1987

Asked by Jessaroo1987 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was similar at that age and I asked my pediatrician about it. She said that once she is able to roll over on her own it is ok for her to sleep on her tummy. I wouldn't worry so much about her keeping her head down, at this point she should be strong enough to move it herself if she has any problems breathing. Just to be safe you may want to remove any pillows or blankets or stuffed animals from her bed if you haven't already. My daughter is two now and still likes to bury her face when she's sleeping, I just move her over a little if it really doesn't look like she can breathe well, but usually that's more for my sake than hers....she never seems to have problem with it.
    LoudMouthMama

Answer by LoudMouthMama at 2:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• The "Back to Sleep" campaign recommends that you put your baby to sleep on her back, but if she rolls on her own you don't have to run in and roll her back over. Just keep putting her on her back when she goes down, but you don't have to worry about it when she rolls on her own.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:45 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• If your baby can roll over then its gonna be ok.I had this thing in my DDs crib so she couldn't roll over or so i though :/ She rolled right over it lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• my son rolls over too. once they roll they are strong enough to move if they need to. once they are over 6 months its fine IMO. plus my son got a flat head from sleepin on his back and he has to wear a reshaping helmet :(
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 12:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• once they roll....you can't stop them.

just relax and let her sleep. just get rid of the extra blankets and stuff.
    Anonymous

• You don't do anything. Once they can roll there is nothing you can do to stop them and shouldn't try. Putting extra stuff in the crib to keep them from rolling just adds more stuff to the crib that they could climb on or smother themselves with. Just clear out the clutter and cover her with a blankie and be done with it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010