How to take care of thresh?

We recently found out that my 2 month old son has thresh. I called the nurse tonight and she told me to get clotrimazole and rub it on my breasts and then thoroughly clean it off before I feed again, and to do this in between feedings and see if it starts to clear up before monday. If it doesn't, then call the doctor on monday. His pediatrician apt is on thursday.
Basically, what I am asking is has anyone done it this way and if not, then what have you done for it?

sugargoo

Asked by sugargoo at 3:35 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if your LO is breastfed, try eating lots of yogurt. helped my son with yeast infections on his butt and in his mouth. thrush is a yeast infection, it won't just go away. my so's dr gave us nystatin which was kinda gross (oral)he had to have1 ml in each cheek every 6 hours. i wouldn;t even want to take that stuff. but then i started loading up on yogurt and the thrush went away pretty quickly, using both nystatin and yogurt.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 4:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Get a (refrigerated) probiotic powder. Before nursing, sprinkle the powder on your nipples. After feeding, rub breast milk on your nipples, let them completely air dry, sprinkle on more of the probiotic powder.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• If you're nursing, which I assume that you are, based on being told to put Lotrimin on your breasts, then both you and your son need treatment. I've heard good things about Genetian Violet, which it OTC, but makes EVERYTHING purple. Alternately, you can get an Rx for treatment, and do the probiotics.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I don't see how putting cream on your breasts, and then rubbing it off before a feeding can help HIM. I also don't think that it's advisable to nurse WITH clotriminazole cream ON your breasts. It seems the nurse doesn't know much about nursing problems. See the doc, and if he gives the same advice, I'd seek out a second opinion.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I worked at a daycare for a long time and the only thing that really works is Nystatin as recommended previously. Likewise, it won't just go away and is very contagious. Clean all pacifiers, bottle nipples, etc also.
    LongBone

Answer by LongBone at 1:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2010