Could I possibly get pregnant while using Mirena?

With my past two pregnancies, I had a couple of symptoms that stood out right away that made me know without a doubt that I am pregnant. I got the Mirena IUD implanted last August, and I had my period until around December. Now I just feel like I'm pregnant, but the HPTs are all negative.
Have any of you heard about false negative pregnancy tests with Mirena? And do you think I'm just reading into this way too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know that IUDs work on the premise of making your body think that it's pregnant. that's why you don't get your period anymore and you shouldn't be ovulating either. but there is always an exception to every rule. but you said since december, that was almost 4 months ago, you'd know if you were pregnant by now. when in doubt, visit your obgyn
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 7:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I've never heard of false negatives with IUDs. Pregnancy tests measure hCG, which is not affected by an IUD. That said, no method is 100% effective, however, IUDs are more effective than even a tubal ligation. Mirena can stop your periods, and that's fine, health wise. The hormones can mimic pregnancy, but I doubt at this point that you are.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2010