terrible twos!

My little guys just turned 2 a few weeks ago, but the terrible twos have been going on a few mths. He is a very sweet boy, his just WON'T mind. I have tried time outs, corner, talking to him in the stern mommy voice and even spankings (which I hate to do) and nothing works. Any suggestions, mommies?

rlhall1980

Asked by rlhall1980 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Everything your doing is right... just keep it up. Its all about consistency and persistance when your dealing with the terrible twos. :) It gets easier as they grow and learn.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 8:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• If you don't mind me asking....how are you doing time outs?
    We have a very rambunctious 2 yr old....
    After nothing working...I made a time out spot for him to go to. He has to stay in that spot for his alloted time. It took him a couple times to finally get it...but it works.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 11:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I have a friend who does time outs in an empty pack n play for 2 minutes - she also leaves the room so her daughter can't see her. Her daughter sounds a lot like your son, sweet kid, just has a mind of their own at times! Her ped recommended this and it has worked really well for her.

Good luck, mom and stay strong. Consistency is key!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 12:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I know my son asks out especially when he has sugary treats/foods/juice's. so I just can't given them to him. He also needs to learn by misbehaving.. so he will test boundries over and over and if he's strong willed like mine, he'll test ALL the time.!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• AProsser was right, you're doing great! Consistency is the key when working with children. It also helps my ds a lot if I get down on his level and make him look at me... Sometimes he won't look and I make him look and listen. I don't yell, I try hard not to let my aggravation show. My son is almost 3 and there's still days that he doesn't like to listen. But know that it does get easier with time, especially if you follow through with your rules and punishments...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 3:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Dr Sears "The Discipline Book" has a wonderful outlook and philosophy on how to discipline children in a positive way that helps them learn. It's helped a lot with teaching us how to talk to our 2 year old and how to deal with hitting and tantrums.
    mandelion8

Answer by mandelion8 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010