planting seeds

We have a small area 7 x 10 that is in our front yard boxed in by our driveway, sidewalk, front porch and house. This is our third year of trial and error. I couldn't stand how it looked, so last fall I removed everything. So starting all over again. I usually go to a nursery and get potted plants but this year I don't want to spend much money. If I plant seeds will it be successful? Will they grow? I do not have good lighting in my house to do them indoors first. All has to be started outside. Any tips or suggestions? Also the bunnies ate all the tips of my tulips, will they be okay? This is my first year for them. Thanks

yldflwr

Asked by yldflwr at 7:44 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• When choosing your plants, pick ones that are suited for the available growing conditions. Things like hours of daily sunlight, soil fertility and ground & air temperature are very important to the well-being of your plants. Native plants tend to be less picky because they are already well-adapted to the general climate conditions of the area, but if you want non-native plants, then you should read up on their soil, light, fertilizer & water requirements prior to purchasing & planting so that you can be prepared for their needs. Flowers are the easiest to start from seed in the ground, but some require specific temperatures & water conditions to germinate and you also need to consider how long your growing season is so that you can be sure you have enough time for the seeds to germinate & grow to maturity.

You may want to consider getting a book from the library on gardening for your area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2010