Is it hard to show a weight loss during your period?

I'm exercising every day and counting calories. I have shown a very small gain the last 2 days but started my cycle this morning. Is this normal? I'm trying not to freak out that I'm not losing anything. I'm staying within my calories and working out so I'm thinking this is water retention? Possibly?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 9:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I have found that to be true......but after it's gone I don't notice a "large" weight loss??? So there is always a week that I am just happy to maintain the loss!

I started a day or 2 after my "fast" (but it was a week early). How disappointing to fast and not loose :(
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 9:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• yeah at least for me because i blote up when i am on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It can be, because a lot of women get bloated and retain water during their period. I would keep up with your regiment (as much as you can while feeling crappy from being on your period), but don't bother weighing until after your period. That way you know, your weight is correct, rather than feel bad because your reading a bunch of water weight.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I always gain about two pounds in the week surrounding day 1 of my period. I lose it again about 3-4 days into my period.

Since you are actively trying to lose weight you might find that, while you've gained 2 lbs, a few days into your cycle you'll drop 2.5-3. So yes you still might see a net loss.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 10:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• If you are just starting to exercise, then you will gain weight because you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• yea that is the case with most women, if you want to start a workout routine it's best to start after your cycle that way you have at least 3 weeks of weight lost and when you start again you wont' fee so bad. or you can work out extra hard those few days of your cycle an still lose weight. it happens to me all the time. now i have to disagree with KURIEQUINN on parts of her answer. you only gain muscle mass when your doing a weight training workout. if you stick to cardios, flexablity trainging and shake things up in between you will have fat lost and not muscle gain. until you add the weights, which you should probably weight a few weeks to do.....good luck on your weight lost!!!
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yes, that's been my experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• yes that is true, always gain a few pounds and than I lose it a few days later.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yep, the scale always adds a few when I'm on my period. ugh.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:47 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It is not muscle. People do not gain that amount of muscle in such a short period of time. Especially women. Women have to work very hard (doing resistance training) to gain a significant amount of muscle and it would take waaaaay longer than a few weeks.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 12:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2010