Severe ear/throat pain

I have been in pain for 9 days now. I went to the ER and they said my throat is just a little red, no sign of infection or inflammation, no infection in my ears either. They think it's a virus and don't know what to do about it. The pain I am experiencing is strong like a tooth pain and we all know how a tooth pain can wear you out in a few days. I usually take tylenol no more than 3 times a year, but this time I have already taken 20 in 6 days. Could it be true that it's just a virus? I can't believe a virus can cause this much pain, I'm afraid there is something else that they missed. Believe me, I have a high tolerance for pain, recently had a 10+LB baby with no meds whatsoever after 24 hours of labor, I'm no pussy who runs to the doctor for every ache and pain, but this one is killing my zest for life. Any thoughts?

cristinaberger

Asked by cristinaberger at 9:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Health

• You went to the ER for a sore throat? This is a sore throat or a tooth ache? A virus can hang out for quite awhile sometimes but it could be referred pain from somethng else. Sinus infection or a problem with a tooth. Did they do a swab? If it is a virus it's not that they don't know whast to do it's that there is not anything medical you can do.
    If it is your throat you could try hydrogen peroxide rinse.(it's gross but can help. If it is a tooth have you been to a dentist?
    I'd find a dr to look at it if it doesn't go away in a few days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Tylenol won't do it. Switch to Motrin to reduce the inflammation then gargle with warm salt water

Answer by admckenzie at 5:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2010