Advice please! Getiing daughter to sleep in her own Bed?

I have slept with my daughter since the day she was born. I could not get her to sleep at all so I would just position myself on the sofa and fall asleep. I needed the sleep and thought this would work temporarily until I figured something else out. Only three years have gone by. Here is the problem my daughter would not sleep unless she is in the middle of me and my husband, she can hold on to my tank top, have her feet on my husband, and we both need to lay facing towards her. She has serious attachment issues towards me. Yes I do realize this is my fault. I want to change this. I have a three week old and I do not want to make the same mistake.
Continued...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Baby steps, over the last month… We first had her sleep on the edge of the bed on my side so she could not lay in the middle of us, then after the crying stopped and it became normal we then put her in her own bed. Problem with this is I lay down with her to get her to fall asleep. Well now she wakes up 3-4 times a night to call me and I go lay down with her. Because I’m nursing our three week old who wakes up three times a night. Between the two of them I’m getting no sleep at all. On top of this I’m so depressed. I think I may have post-partum depression... that is another post another time.
    My question is how I get my daughter to lay down without me? One person said just let her cry in her bed. Only problem with that is she throws up when she cries. We don’t have a change of sheets or a washer and dryer. I’m so beside myself and so tired. PLEASE JUST HELP! SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD TO HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS…
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I too had the same problem. It is hard to get them to sleep in their own beds. It took me 3 weeks to break them out of this habit. A lot of nights of crying, but it is worth it in the end. My husband and I can have alone time together in "our" bed. Now you have to ask yourself if your the on attached cause if you are you won't be strong enough to stick to it. No matter how much she cries and you have to make her go to sleep in her own bed. She won't be able to stay up all night, but she will get up to sneak back on your bed. When she does make sure you put her back on her bed. Also make sure she does not feel that you are doing this because of the baby. Don't let her catch you sleeping with the baby on your bed. She feels that its her place to sleep with you and her daddy. Let her know that the baby has her own bed too. Good luck and god bless you and your family.
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 6:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You may want to put a waterproof liner down, then an extra sheet on top of it - that way if she makes herself throw up, you just pull the sheet and liner off and voila - another clean set ready to go. But I agree that there isn't an easy way to do this - I can't imagine a way to do it without some degree of crying.
    Anonymous