Would you trust an overweight doctor?

I was recently seen by a doctor and she was around 250 Lbs, 5'5"" tall. I have never seen such a fat doctor and I feel like she has no credibility with that weight. If she can't take care of herself, how does she take care of others? Would you go to a dentist who has bad teeth or to a manicurist who has chipped nails?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Everyone's going to have an imperfection....it's not like they're trying to be a hypocrite. Fact is fact, and even they know what they should be doing to stay healthy, but that's what's so wonderful about choice!
    It's kind of like the nurses and doctors that are smokers?...sure they know it's bad for them, but they have high stress jobs, and that's thier way of taking the stress off during break. So I wouldn't worry about one thing. If she's a good doctor and meets your medical needs through her KNOWLEDGE...then it shouldn't matter what choices she's choosing to make in HER PERSONAL LIFE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It all depends on the situation. Am I going to a 250lb nutritionist who has no underlying health issues that are causing his/her obesity? Then yeah, I'm going to be fairly skeptical of his or her advice. But on the same thought line, I would have no problem going to a plastic surgeon with an imperfect nose or a gynecologist who's had a hysterectomy. It all depends on the situation.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No I don't know her sittuation so who em I to judge.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Who knows, I might be inclined to think the fat doctor stayed indoors studying during 10 years of college and med school, and now spends all her time working indoors in her office instead of out jogging and going to the gym. Therefore she might be a better doctor. Also she might have a health problem, or a genetic history of obesity.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:30 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I would question her credibility. I don't think it's being judgemental either, it is what it is, she is clearly overweight.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• i don't trust a lot of doctors. being overweight is not healthy. if your job is promoting health, then you should be healthy yourself. many doctors are not about promoting health and longevity, and don't even realize it. there are many aspects of good health that are not as evident as body weight. i would not go to a dentist with bad teeth, i would not hire a weight trainer that was not fit..
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Let me think about this--if I went to a fat doctor would I think their education and intellegence were not as good as a thin doctors. Hmmm well no.
    I worked with this woman once a baker- she was perhaps 300 lbs. She could work her self in circles around me. I am what she would call thin. Did I judge her because she was heavy? Nope and I honestly admired her. Here is the thing she is every bit as capable of her work as anyone. I did feel like her life would be easier if she weighed less and that I wish that she didn't have to deal with that issue. However I respect her as much as a thin baker.
    I know being a baker is different than a doctor- but giving you medical advice or talking to you about some health issues is about intelligence not weight. As for doctors if the rapport you feel with this person is off then discontinue seeing them. If it isn't working for you then change doctors.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• i would not go to a dentist with bad teeth

Why not? He can't work on his own teeth. I would avoid HIS dentist! (And just possibly he went into dentistry because his parents couldn't afford good dental care for him when he was a child and he wanted to save other people from the problems he suffered.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• To be honest I would not want a doctor who could not take care of their own body.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Ohhh okay, so now we have decided that making fun of, gawking at, judging fat people is not enough BUT now they cannot be Doctors. Even Doctors are HUMAN BEINGS. Guess what, even skinny people do things that are not so healthy or good for them. Be it smoking, drugs, speeding or even not looking both ways before crossing the street EVERYBODY on this earth does at least ONE thing daily that endangers their lives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2010