Belly dancing as a workout?

I was thinking about getting a belly dancing workout DVD, since after having two kids, my core is what needs the most work.

Has anyone used a belly dancing workout? How successful was it? Would you use it to lose weight or more for toning?

LokisMama

Asked by LokisMama at 10:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• depending on the workout, they can be used for BOTH!! it's a cardio so your gonna burn fat, cuz your heart is pumping you sweat, or at least i do. and it's fun to do. and when you and hubby get a night to just be with each other you can show him your moves, lol...i wish you luck.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Oddly enough my mother has been doing it. She got a really round middle when she went through chemo and it's really been helping her take it off. If nothing else it looks like fun.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:25 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• just make sure you use proper posure when doing it. I take classes with my daughter and it is definitely fun...if you can find an actual teacher to take classes at least for a short while I have seen many belly dancers say that doing that is best. reserch the dvd before you buy it- I think there are some crappy ones and some good ones also...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• @charlotsomtimes, That's mostly what I've been doing this morning is researching the various DVD's. Most of the ones that are available on Amazon and stuff have a good amount of customers reviews to browse. I would take a class if I had the money too, but I don't at this point, so I'm looking into the DVD's instead.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• well its only going to work if you train your abs to contract so they help work the stomach. i do hip hop abs and lost 2 inches on my stomach in 14 days.. and im still going and its great.. i liked it so much the first two weeks i oined beachbody to get 25% off step 2 dvds. it helps tone and teaches you how to contract the muscles to make them work and it took me about a day or two to even get my abs to start working the way the needed to..ive had 2 kids and had the round belly and baby skin..
    mommy2ys

Answer by mommy2ys at 8:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yes, Beachbody has one from Yoga Booty Ballet -Cardio Cabaret Burlesque Style.
    I'm a Beachbody Coach and sell this on my website. Several of the college women in my town have tried this as a group and had a blast with it. Great workout!

Message me if you want more info.

You can check it out at www.beachbodycoach.com/teamjacobs
    SHOP / FITNESS PROGRAM / YOGA BOOTY BALLET

It's the first one and includes 5 workouts. Click view detail and it will tell you about it.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 10:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• *posure=posture...didn't notice the typo until now ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2DED666A9398C11F
    try this free intro to belly dancing on youtube for a few days. see how you like it. i instantly saw results, just following this girl portia on these little moves.
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 11:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2010