induce or not to induce????

My original due date is may 2nd. I have an ultrasound to go to on the first of april. I can already feel the baby positioned head down and i'm dialated 1cm. If the ultrasound shows that the baby is healthy and positioned, and the lungs are mature....could I ask to be induced on april 14th. I really think i'm further along than I'm supposed to be. Please help!!!

a.mitchell09

Asked by a.mitchell09 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you can ask I was induced with both of mine one on my duedate the other a week before my due date, but because I am small first baby was 8.1 they said if i went pased my due date she would be about 10 pounds and i would been able to push her out they had to use forceps baby 2 he asked me if i wanted to be induced a week early so the baby would be smaller so i did, but she ended up being 8.7 so she wasn't smaller lol they said she would been 10 pounds too if I waited and I am not very big. So you can ask and see what the doctor says. I wasn't dilated with either of mine I can't dialte on my own.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• THANKS!!!!!! This is very helpful
    a.mitchell09

Answer by a.mitchell09 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Why risk it? Why not let your body do what it was meant to do? It's a LOT better for the baby since you don't know exactly how far along you are (it's impossible to know for sure), and you could be risking underdevelopment in a lot of areas by not letting baby stew those extra few weeks. Your due date COULD be off by those two weeks. But it could also be off by two weeks in the other direction. Would you really want to risk your baby coming 36 weeks along? I wouldn't wish that on anyone after all the problems I had with my daughter coming early. It's heart breaking.
    Anonymous

• Please don't induce. If the baby is really more developed than you think, then she will come on her own. It's not fair to bring a baby into the world early just because you want to. Plus pitocin is the devil when it comes to contractions.
    Anonymous

• u and your doctor will decide that but im guessing that will be to early and the doc will say no GOOD LUCK
    VDietrich

Answer by VDietrich at 1:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't risk it that early as well....but also to test for lung maturity an ultrasound wouldn't show that, you'd need to have an amnio to test that. I was induced early because of preeclampsia and I had to have amnio before we could go ahead, it wasn't painful but you run the risk of going into labor from it, and if the test shows the babies lungs are NOT mature that can be dangerous
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You can't tell lung maturity by ultra sound. No I would NOT induce unless it was medically needed. IF you and baby are fine wait it out.
    There are so many risks involved with inducing.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Why not just wait, mama? You know your body is getting ready, your baby is healthy, why not just let baby choose its birthday? If baby were ready for birth, labor would have started. There is no reason to add the risks of induction unless baby absolutely needs to come out for medical concerns.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Just because things *might* appear to be ready to go does not mean that they ACTUALLY are.
    Obviously, if you are still pregnant then your body & baby are not quite there yet. But they will be!

Inducing for convenience does add real risks to you & your baby.
    It is SAFER to avoid unnecessary interventions.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Babies born too early can have more than lung issues. The can have difficulty with body temperature regulation, eating, and are more prone to illness. The likihood of a Nicu baby is higher.

I would let the baby be. Third trimester estimates of weight can be way off and babies gain weight slower in the last weeks. Weight by the way is more than a function of heft. It;s build. My baby was 8lbs but very slender/lean. I've seen 7lb babies that were chunky and broad. Petite Women birth 9-10lb babies with no trouble all the time. The pelvis expands and heads mold.

My baby was 40wk 5d and was slathered with vernix and had back lanugo--i knew the exact day of conception. Clearly she was not overbaked and would have been fine in ther another week or so, Had she been induced she would have had issues with temperature. Living bodies do not grow at a textbook rate--pacing is unique.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2010