my daughter is going to be one soon and she gets very mad tamtrums. very demanding. and it gets very annoying bcause she young and we dont know how to break the habit!! any suggestions

SheilaAM

Asked by SheilaAM at 11:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Keep up with the ignoring. Throwing a tantrum isnt going to hurt her. If she goes for an hour, you have a pretty stubborn child..lol. But I stil lwouldnt give in. Even at this young age, its a power struggle. You have to decide is she going to be in control or are you? Giving in is SO counterproductive and the next time you try ignoring, she'll go longer, knowing that you'll eventually give in. I have 5 children, and the only thing that worked for me at this age is ignoring them. When they realize that the tantrum isnt going to achieve what they want, they will stop. Would you rather get it under control now or have her throw one of those hour long tantrums in a public place at 2 or 3 because you told her she couldnt have something? I know its hard, but it really is for the best.

Good luck :)
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 10:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• time for time outs and also don't give her the attenion till she calms down and talk/asks nicely. invest in ear plugs hopefully it'll get better by the time she's older goodluck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:11 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Again... hand meet butt!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Seeing she is only 1, I would NOT spank her. Instead, make sure she is safe and IGNORE then tantrums. At this age, it is done for attention or because she can't verbalize her wants, needs or feelings.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• at one, you walk away and ignore it then give possitive attentiuon and reinforment right after she stops.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I would put my 1 year old in his crib for a few minutes, and that helped a little. Now I walk away and won't look at him until he stops. It takes a few minutes, but he stops!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• i did try n ignore it. she had a trantrum for an hour. she feels strong about it and wont let go.. til she get what she wants
    SheilaAM

Answer by SheilaAM at 6:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2010