14 mos old won't eat meat....

my 14 month old son will not eat meat?! did anyone elses child go trough finicky eater stages?

smb87

Asked by smb87 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yep, my daughter who is 2 1/2 STILL won't eat most meat. I can get her to eat maybe a couple bites of steak. The occasional lunch meat. Mostly chicken, is what she likes. No hamburgers, bought or homemade. No meatloaf...
    It's so hard...It makes crazy sometimes.
    Just load her up on as much good stuff as you can, when you can...and never stop trying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• We don't eat meat, so this is quite normal to me.

It is quite possible that your daughter will lead you down the road to better health.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I never saw not eating meat as a problem, mostly because our house is 90% vegetarian. DH and the kids eat some chicken or beef maybe 2x month, and we eat fish 1x week.

The more you introduce a food and have it on your own plate, the more likely a child will eat the food. My oldest would never touch fruit or veggies. Slowly he has become a better eater because we didn't just give in with them. It takes 10 or more introductions for a positive result at times. He is young, he won't starve himself and he will learn from what you do eat.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My oldest son didn't eat meat when he was little. He doesn't eat much now either.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• my 4 year old still won't eat meat
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My 31 month old DS still barely eats meat. A bit of bologna, and hot dogs. Very rarely some chicken. It's ok.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I hear that a lot of kids don't eat meat. I think they naturally know it's not healthy. But if the rest of your family eats meat and your child doesn't, make sure you're giving him a varied, healthy diet. Provide him with plenty of beans and nut products (not whole nuts, obviously). In fact, my kids loved cooked black beans when they were that age (still do). You can serve him the same food as the rest of you are eating, but give him beans instead of meat. Meat truly is not healthy, so don't worry about your kid not eating it as long as he's getting a variety of other foods.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 5:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My toddler is 2 1/2 and won't eat beef. I think it's the texture. He also won't eat meat if it's dry. He likes it smothered with cheese, dipped in ketchup or whatever. Ya know?!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010