What are the tactics parents/schools have used to discourage children to have sex "too soon"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a dd who will be 17 in June. We talk about everything, and talk, and talk and then we talk some more. I am sure at some point she stopped listening but I still just say, " you know the drill". She knows what is expected of her and the people she spends time with. I know that she has been to parties where there is drinking and weed, but I also know that she isn't smoking pot and drinks very little. She calls it pussy drinking, you just hold it a sip throughout the night. I believe her, she has learned the hard way the lying and going behind my back doesn't work. The same goes for sex. We have talked about birth control and waiting. So far she has waited, and with every new boy that comes around I get nervous all over again. I think the real thing to do is just talk and talk and to honest and open with them so they know they can come to you when needed.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I talk to my oldest about how divorce sucks, the diseases you can catch, what GOD says for us do like waiting till we get married before having sex..As for schools Public school teach safe sex not abstinence, which really is the only safe sex.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:35 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• The one that worked for me... (I was 21 and in a committed relationship before I lost my v-card) was having a good relationship with my parents. They were upfront and honest with me about sex and their choices. But they also explained why they made their choices. My mom always told me that sex was fun and natural but that it was WAAAY better with someone you were in love with. I did have a lot of friends in high school having sex and heaven knows my boyfriends wanted to (40% of the girls in my class were pregnant). But my folks also taught me to respect and stand up for myself.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 11:37 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It's called open and honest communication with our kids. It's called educating our children on all aspects of life...from the risks of having sex too early to std's and protection. It's called teaching kids that waiting is best but so is protecting themselves and their partners. It's called being honest when they ask us about our time as teens, what we went through. It's not freaking out when they ask questions, it's not making things taboo, it's not preaching. It's educating and being their for our kids. The same works for preventing drug and alcohol abuse among teens too. Parents are stuck on the whole teen sex topic but not many realize how many of their teens (as young as 13) already have alcohol and drug problems. Education is key. Educating a teen isn't giving them permission to do something, but it is giving power to make informed decisions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2010

• my high school did a program in health class where they made you take home the baby that cries every couple hours, records how fast you got it to stop crying, if you dropped it. we had to keep it for the weekend, they made us take home the actual umbrella strollers, infant carseats, and diaper bags. We were graded on the recordings it takes and if you failed you had to do it again.
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• STD's they will tell them to wear a condom. Kids get the wrong Idea with that.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I don't think schools do anything to discourage sex. If anything they promote it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My 2 oldest ones are 13 and 14. They are still kinda young but it is not unheard of for kids that age to be having sex and/or pregnant. So I talk to them. No I don't talk about abstinence, no I show them pictures of gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes, etc.(isn't google awesome!). I prefer scare tactics and statistics numbers are great too. I also ask them what goes in the sex ed class they take at school. We go over it at home. It is the best way to keep the lines of communication open at home.
    Anonymous

• I offered mine a car. It worked!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My parents were clear and loud that sex is reserved for marriage. I saw friends who were sexually permissive and how emotionally broken they became.

I waited until marriage at 31 years old. My hubby also waited until marriage. We have a strong relationship and are thrilled we do not have a bunch of emotional baggage in our relationship.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010