God leads people into temptation?

Everyone knows the Lord's Prayer- and the line 'lead us not into teptation'.

Why would a God actually lead anyone to be tempted to sin? Does God tempt or test and what really is the difference between the two if any?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Lex, so the word CAN be translated to mean TEMPT

In this case it can and does mean the same thing. Actually, this definition fits best in the case of Abraham and the Lord's Prayer:

Tempt- (2 a obsolete) : to make trial of : test
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• The prayer goes: and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Which I gather means save us from ourselves when we are tempted by the evil one. JMPO Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I'm thinking that the line in the Lord's Prayer probably means something like lead us away from temptation. Meaning that if we are tempted, then please God help us to make the right choices and to stay away from evil. Does that make sense?
    Anonymous

• Matthew 4:11 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. Genesis 22:1-2 1And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. 2And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

These are two instances where God allows temptation... and yet in James 1: Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted with evil and he himself tempts no one." So which is it? Also, if Jesus is God, then how was he tempted by Satan when James says God can't BE tempted?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yahweh TESTES people and their faith, and love for him. There is only one tempter and that is the d-vil. The man known as J-sus is not Yahweh and never claimed to be. Yahshua is the son of Yahweh, and people often mistake John 8:20 thinking Yahshua claimed to be his Father. No; they share same goal to save mankind, and both share love for mankind. This is what he meant, but many false doctrines are out there and this is one of them. Hope I cleared this up for you. Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• shake handAlso allowing people to be tempted and tempting them are two different things. Glad to see someone interested in understanding the bible!

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Daphna28...
    I don't see how you can ignore that it clearly says TEMPT in the case of Abraham and then turn around and say God doesn't tempt. I also cannot see the difference between testing and tempting- a test of your faith INCLUDES a temptation to lead you astray so in essence, God IS tempting you.

I totally agree with you about Jesus NOT being God and think the scriputures supports this. Although people will see what they want to see in order to validate the what they've been taught.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Are you new around here,Daphna28? My dear "best enemy" IhartU has absolutely no desire to understand the Bible. She wants us to question it ourselves.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• people will see what they want to see in order to validate the what they've been taught.
    ---------------
    ...or see what they want to validate what they want to believe.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• As far as Jesus being tempted in the wilderness, Im not sure that God allowed it. But of course you are right, it did happen. Rather, it happened because Satan KNEW he was the son of God. Yep, its all Satan fault here. Satan tempted Jesus plenty and Jesus kept his integrity/devotion to God making him/Jesus the perfect ransom and proving Satan to be the liar he is.

One example that I can think of is Job. God DID permit Satan to temp Job. God had confidence in Job. The importance of the book of Job of this is to vindicate God and to prove His sovereignty.

So does God tempt us today? According to the prayer we need to pray about it so maybe. Im no bible scholar. If we feel like God is tempting us, he gave us great examples in the bible to follow. Id like to read up on this question. I liked it :)
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2010