How do we get rid of cradle cap on a 4 year old?

My husband cut our 4 year olds hair really short. We discovered he has "Cradle cap" . So the top of his head has patches that do not look good. How can we get rid of this?

crystaljedi

Asked by crystaljedi at 12:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Health

• rub his head with olive oil; comb out

Answer by rkoloms at 1:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• it's dandruff.... use the non-medicated selsum blue and make sure not to get it in his eyes
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• selsum blue.
    Anonymous

• Try cortizone cream. I used the one with aloe on DS after his bath and it takes care of it
    Anonymous

• It's dandruff. Use dandruff shampoo and alternate brands for optimum control. Be extra careful to not get into his eyes.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• don't use Cortisone!!! its a STEROID!!!! BAD BAD BAD idea!!!

use a nonmedicated dandruff or flaky scalp shampoo. and run a comb through ti after washing, then wash again.

Anonymous

• Soak it with baby oil for an hour, then take a regular comb and comb it out. It might not work all the way the first day so repeat everyday till gone. DO NOT USE DANDRUFF SHAMPOO ON HIM. It has many chemicals that could be very harmful to him. This is what any doctor will tell you to do.
    Amber7277

Answer by Amber7277 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My son had this not too long ago (he is 3). I didn't want to do any medicated stuff, and a lot of the natural alternatives involved some kind of oil. But the cradle cap itself is caused by an imbalance of oils on the scalp, and it seemed to me that adding oil would just keep it out of whack. So what I did was wash his hair with diluted apple cider vineger and sort of brush his head with a soft bristle brush while it was wet, then rinse. That removed the icky yellow spots that were already there (I had to rinse a lot to get it out of his hair once I had dislodged it from his scalp), and slowly but surely new ones stopped developing. Each time I did it, I could see he had less cradle cap. Don't know if you want to do it the way I did, but I thought I would share.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 3:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2010