Do you care about curse words in schools

I am now a student teacher in a Middle School and the words kids use in school is shocking. Even yhe science teacher I worked with dropped glass and said "fuck" and the whole class went silent. I personally dont care about bad words but do you care. This school is in a good suburb an intercity. For me when i am around kids will use dang or shoot. When i am alone i will usually say god damn it or shit

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's not appropriate for teachers to use curse words. They know a lot of words, and don't have to resort to the worst kind. They are supposed to be an example of what TO do, not what not do to. I am a teacher. I never swore in front of my students.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• There is a no tolerance policy for faculty, staff, and students in our schools. Faculty and Staff can be fined if they are caught cursing and students go to either chill out or ISS if they are caught. This is Elementary thru High School. It is all about respect in our schools.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Schools are about educating and preparing children for the real world, and honestly I don't know a lot of jobs that allow language like that to be used. Frankly I would flip if I found out that a teacher used something worse then shoot or dang in front of my kids, mainly because it is MAJORLY unprofessional.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 2:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I don't think it's ok for anyone to use cuss words in schools. I cuss a lot and I do cuss around my kids but that is my choice and I don't think teachers should be cussing around kids.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• School is for education. Let's set examples and teach them that cursing is not good behavior even if it's acceptable in videos and movies.
    Anonymous

• I definitely don't think that teachers should be cursing all willy nilly, but if something sudden happens and it slips, I'm going to give them a pass. It's natural. As for students, well, nothing I can say there really. They're young and carefree LOL I remember exercising my *ahem* lungs at that age. If it's not going on IN the classroom, I don't really care. Learning time is precious, so if that time isn't being hindered by the language, I don't really care.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I care. I don't want my little boys first word to be something vulgar. Even I try to watch my language, and am offended when other adults curse around my son. I think its low class and ignorant. Adults should be able to control their own mouths, and I don't care if they are old enough to do what they want and kids should just do what their told, because we all set an example.
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I don't believe in the concept of "cuss" or "bad" words... Words are just that... They are letters put together to make sounds... No more, No less! It's how you use them that counts. If you stub your toe and yell fuck, I see it no different than someone who stubs their toe and yells ouch... And you can do much more damage with other non-cuss words than you can with many of those when you're being abusive... Honestly, I cuss in front of my kids, I don't really care if their teacher does.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't think it is appropriate for a teacher to swear in front of students. They are supposed to be setting a good example. Granted I have sworn in front of my kids and there are situation in which (when they are older) I will not correct my kid for swearing, but I don't think they should hear it from a teacher.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't think it is appropriate for teachers to curse in front of their students, at least up to the Jr./Sr. years of high school. Elementary and middle school kids know the words, for the most part, but don't really need their teachers to be using them.

I remember being shocked the first time a teacher cursed in school. I was a high school senior. He and another teacher became legends for their knock down drag out cursing matches. Do I remember what they taught? NO. Do I remember them screaming and dropping the f-bomb for 10 minutes at a time? Sure do. Couldn't imagine how bad it would have been if they hadn't liked each other (they were hippie relics of the 60's where education was a little different, I guess.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2010