Does anyone have any help for a child with ADD? She is 10, wonderful but we are trying to figure out whether we should hold her back next year in school? She makes good grades with alot of work for her father and me but she is not as mature as the others in the grade she is in....everyone one says hold her back....but I am so confused? help.....

mask13

Asked by mask13 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in

• I don't know your daughter. I don't think holding back any child when they are making the grades is a good thing. If they get held back they are going to be bored because they have already learned all these things and they will finish the work quickly. They won't just sit there if they are finished and they will get into trouble.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My dd has ADHD. I think we would have had less problems if we had held her back. The maturity issue became more of an issue for her socially when she moved to middle school, and she ended up losing friends as they moved on (matured) without her. She'll be in high school next year, and while she's doing ok, I really think I messed up not holding her back when she was younger (I am so sad for her about the friend situation). With her it's not just the ADHD though - she also has a summer birthday and is a late bloomer physically. If your daughter's ADD is under control and she is doing well with school and with friends, then she might do well without being held back. It's really hard to know how things will turn out until after it's already happened. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I took my daughter out of school to homeschool and held her back. The public school wanted to just keep passing her on without knowing the material. I love it because now we can go at her pace.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• As long as she is making good grades, don't hold her back. Everyone matures at different rates. She will catch up eventually or learn to cope.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2010