Why do some people get offended when a biracial person, who has a black mom or dad, chooses to call him/herself black?

I don't know...it seems like some people consider it to be a personal insult or something. Why care so much about how another person chooses to identify themselves???

For example, Obama says he is black, and a lot of people get in a huff because of it. Why?? I really and honestly would like to know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Heaven knows why peple get in a huff over everything these days, on their way to a bleeding ulcer. Some things are just not worthy of getting upset over.

Answer by older at 2:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I see your point but I do not understand why a person of mixed background would purposely identify with only one race. I know someone who is half hispanic and half white but lists themselves as white and even makes fun of hispanics. It's kind of strange.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Noone gets offended, Some people bring it up because he IS biracial. Period. End of story. Why try to start some bull about it? Try this IGNORE it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• well normally people don't really care, unless they are using that race card to get what they want. take Obama for example, he used the race card to get the votes. i'm from a heavily populated area where the majority of race is black. i talked to a number of people who said their only reasoning for voting for him was just that, he was black. when asked about his political views, alot had no idea what i was talking about.
    Anonymous

• Mrs.Owen, what the hell does "biracial" mean? All it means is that a person has two parents of a different race. It doesn't tell people what race they belong to. That's why most biracial people choose. Obama chose "black". What's wrong with it? My son's dad is white (I am black), and he looks just like his dad. He chose "white". Doesn't bother me.
    Anonymous

• I don't get offeneded if he identifies himself as black. I do get offended when he calls himself an AMERICAN though.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2010