impulse control in a 4.5 yr old

rowan will be 5 this summer; and i am having a terrible time tryin to figure out what to do with him. he has no impulse control. its like he doesnt understand cause and effect... action and reaction... he will recite the rules to me (so i KNOW he knows them) but within 5 mins, he is doing exactly what he isnt supposed to do.
and the lying is awful... not just "my brother did it" type of stuff... he will inten tionaly do something wrong, and come up to me and say "mommy, i didnt get into the refridgerator"... wtf is that about! i have tried spanking; i have tried the love and logic approach of talking to him; explaining that his actions caused a consequence; timeout; taking things away; withholding activities, or good things... nothing is helping! he just does whatever he wants...

my question is; should i get him in to see a behavioural therapist or is this somehow normal behavior??

RowanandOrion

Asked by RowanandOrion at 2:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You do know kids test their parents. To see how much they can get away with. Stop changing the way you discipline. Pick one way and stick to it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• its not like i change it every week. and yes i know that kids test their parents. this is beyond that....
    RowanandOrion

Answer by RowanandOrion at 2:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I do not think it is. If you think he has major problems bring him to some sort of doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• yes but STOP HITTING. You said yourself it doesn't work (something I keep trying to tell people). At this age he knows the words you drilled into him but not the meaning behind the words so NO he doesn't KNOW what the words mean, he just says them to please you bc you demand it of him. Get him some help.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your ped. It does not sound like normal behavior. but if there is anything to be concerned about your pedshould catch it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2010