Could the universe and life have always existed, whether or not there are any gods?

I have seen plenty of religious people on these questions claim that their god, at the very least, always existed. Sometimes they will even say something along the lines of, "well, if evolution is real, then who created evolution?" insinuating that their god must have done it (it's usually a Christian, or a monotheist at least, that makes this insinuation). ---- The counter-point is this: If evolution was created by a god, then who created that god? Their response: That god always existed. The counterpoint: If that god always existed, couldn't the universe have always existed? Why must it, or evolution for that matter, need to have been created, or started, or what have you? ---- Maybe the universe always existed. Maybe evolution operates on it's own. What is there that proves that someone must have made the universe, and initiated life? Why couldn't it all just be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Chaos is simply part of nature. Nothing in nature is in neat little lines and all pertaining to one mold. Trees, flowers, snowflakes are all individual and unique in chaos. If there were order they would all be cookie-cutter molds of one another.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You know I've tried asking them the same thing and never gotten a response other than biblical references.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Of course it's a possibility. But don't expect many of those people you referenced to ever acknowledge that possibility. Nothinig is possible without their God.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yes it is possible. Everything is possible.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yeah. Do you think Aliens believe in god?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Well in my faith Yahweh created everything, it begins in the beginning of the bible. You want to know why things just couldn't be without a creator? Because all around us is order.Everything in this life from the greatest to the smallest serves a purpose, and not only a purpose, but a purpose that benefits all of the other creations. The master design did not happen by chance or a big bang. If it had why did it not happen anywhere else? If it were so easy for life to be formed from nothing than the whole universe would be teaming with life forms just as earth is. There is truth to those who blieve we are not alone. Yahweh is right here with us. His book which is his word explains everything from the beginning, the present, and the end of all time. And it has been proven and will be proven time and time again. Which proves this master design of life we have has a master designer.

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yahweh bless
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• There is just as much chaos as there is order, the deiding factor is where you focus your attention. Frankly I see more chaos but I'm a wee bit OCD so it's hard to see any chaos in my order.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Chaos is explained in the d-vil and I knew someone would bring that up! Laughs. This proves there is a force that opposes the natural order of things, thus proving the d-vil. Yahweh made everything to be a certain way and the d-vil has been trying to destroy it since the beginning. And might I add been successful until the future. Hallelujah for that day!!! Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• "Chaos is explained in the d-vil and I knew someone would bring that up! Laughs. This proves there is a force that opposes the natural order of things, thus proving the d-vil."

This doesn't prove the devil in any way. Chaos is PART of nature...it's how things are in the natural world. There is no devil.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2010