Do you believe that Lord Osiris died, was resurrected, and was proclaimed Judge of the Dead and granter of eternal afterlife?

From the chapter "The Legend of Osiris" from the book "The Egyptian Book of the Dead", translated by E.A. Wallis Budge: "Furthermore, we find...the doctrine of eternal life and of the resurrection of a glorified and transformed body, based upon the ancient story of the resurrection of Osiris after a cruel death and horrible mutilation" "...at the moment of his birth a voice was heard to proclaim that the lord of creation was born." "Osiris was the god through whose sufferings and death the Egyptian hoped that his body might rise again in some transformed or glorified shape, and to him who had conquered death and had become king of the other world the Egyptian appealed in prayer for eternal life through his victory and power."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No this doesn't sound anything like Jesus birth if that's what your asking, and no Isis is not Mary.

I think the OP was aiming more along th elines of how easy it is for other myths to be discounted and claimed to be false, until it pertains to a religion so many actually beleive in and then it is expected to be held up as 100% truth, even when the stories are similar.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• con't
    "Later...we find Osiris called 'the king of eternity, the lord of everlastingness,...the god of gods, the king of kings, the lord of lords, the prince of princes, the governor of the world...whose existence is everlasting'". "He is called, 'the soul that liveth again', 'the being who becometh a child again', 'the firstborn son of unformed matter, the lord of multitudes of aspects and forms, the lord of time and bestower of years, the lord of life for all eternity.' He is the 'giver of life from the beginning', life 'springs up to us from his destruction', and the germ which proceeds from him engenders life in both the living and the dead."
    Anonymous

• Nope, don't even believe old J.C did it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No, because someone dying a torturous death , being resurrected, and being made granter of eternal life is just silly.
    Anonymous

• No one has ever "resurrected".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I do believe that. I learned about it in Art History and several other sources. Christ wasn't the only messiah, ya know. He's just the only one who became famous for it.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Is this before Isis reconstructed his penis so she could bear is children? Oh that's right if It was eaten by a fish and so she recreated one. No this doesn't sound anything like Jesus birth if that's what your asking, and no Isis is not Mary.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No, but the story is the closest counterfeit I've ever read.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

It's a few thousand years older than Jesus, so who copied who?
    Anonymous

• I think the OP was aiming more along th elines of how easy it is for other myths to be discounted and claimed to be false, until it pertains to a religion so many actually beleive in and then it is expected to be held up as 100% truth, even when the stories are similar

~~~~~

Yes, I agree with this, that's why I don't try to convince anyone that my beliefs are the best or the only way. People have to learn, read and discover for themselves what they believe.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2010