What to give a 5mth old for a cold?

My son is congested and has a(n) cough which sounds like he is choking.

LisaK227

Asked by LisaK227 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call his Dr there is nothing over the counter you can get for achild that young.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Homeopathic remedies are safe for any age. Here is one that always worked for my babies: https://www.vitacost.com/NatraBio-Childrens-Cold-and-Flu-Relief

cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 3:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Your doctor will be able to give you some "home remedy" type recommendations like sitting in a steamy bathroom, elevating the mattress a tiny bit, stuff like that. They will not recommend you give any medication to an infant that young.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You'll have to google how to mix it buuuut, my pedi always recommended that I make a saline solution and put it in my daughters nose to help loosen the stuff up. You could also take the baby in the shower with you. All the steam will help with the congestion too.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• saline drops, bulb syringe to suck out the mucus, elevate the head of the mattress, use a humidifier.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• they had this stuff when my kidds were little they 10 and 8 now lol called pedidrops i dont know if they have it still but it worked wonders
    RavenSwift

Answer by RavenSwift at 3:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You might want to have him checked for RSV. It's a really bad cold for babies--in younger babies, the excess amount of mucus can be too much for them. They ended up giving my 5-month-old a nebulizer (breathing treatments) to help break up the flem, the doc thinks he has RSV, but he had a bad cough for days before we had him checked out. Keeping him sitting upright can help the flem go down his throat. Also keep his nose sucked out like another poster mentioned. Good Luck.
    10Rah26

Answer by 10Rah26 at 3:51 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• The absolute best thing that will help him is put a thick layer of vicks vapor rub on his feet covered with socks while he's sleeping clear him right up.
    meghan925

Answer by meghan925 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Nothing you can do but what is listed above. I hope your little one feels better. Watch for funny breathing though. Colds can turn into pneumonia.
    tinaandavasmom

Answer by tinaandavasmom at 1:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2010