Chemo. Therapy & septic system issues?

This is a new one for me! My DH was warned. Saying people that recive Chemo. Therapy get that into their system. So when they use the bathroom the Chemo. excreted from their body's cause havoc with rural septic systems. Eating up the good bacteria requiring costly replacements! Is this True? Possible? Anyone ever hear of this one? I'm serious. I heard this today. So I'm like I'll ask my wise ones on CM. So if anyone knows of this one way or another. I'd love to hear your sincere kind reply! Thank you in advancpe.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 4:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I found this information .....

Body Waste

The toilet (septic tank or city sewage) may be used as usual, just flush it twice after using for 48 hours after receiving chemotherapy. Wash hands well with soap and water afterward, and wash skin if urine or stool gets on it. Pregnant women should avoid direct contact with chemotherapy or contaminated wastes.

on this website..... http://www.cancerpage.com/centers/Sideeffects/caregivers.asp

Read the whole article when you get a chance. There is a lot of useful information on there for you.

slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Anything else that I have read on the subject states to have your septic tank pumped "more often" . So if you normally only have your tank pumped once every 5 years, than to do it once a year when on chemo. Assuming that you will only be receiving chemo for a short amount of time, you may not need to pump it any more often than you normally do.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Had a friend that went through chemo before our town went to sewer so we were all on septic. Her doc recommended that between doses of Chemo they add RidX to their system. It helped boost the enzymes in the septic tank.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I work for a hospital and occassionally work off site at oncology centers( I mix chemo and prepare it). I've heard about it being passed thru urine but never heard anything else. Maybe because it was a business and we're in FL. You can probably ask the company that does it and see what they suggest
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I had chemo and it is excreted from your body while urinating but it had no effect on my toilet or sewer or septic system.....
    my4pinkroses

Answer by my4pinkroses at 7:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2010