Is it wrong to lock a 3 year old in his bedroom?

Once my son learned to open doors he got out of his room while we were sleeping and got into stuff he shouldn't have.So we tried a baby gate,which worked until he learned how to open them. We then put a lock on the outside of the door. We only lock him in when we all go to bed. When he wakes up, he gets up and plays with his toys. And since he is perfectly safe and having fun, i sometime leave him in there until he wants out....sometimes up to 1-2 hours. My sister turned us in to child proetection services for this. Are we wrong for doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am shocked that apparently none of these other moms have had their children get up in the middle of the night and get into things. My 4 yr old went thru a phase and was getting up every night and climbing up things to get into stuff. I keep all cleaners, makeup, etc. up high. That will not stop a determined child. We've also had her escape our apartment several times (thank the Lord none happened at night). In order to keep her in her room we tied a rope around the outside doorknob and looped it around a screw in the wall. Just enough so she could crack her door but couldn't get out. We had to do it for her safety. She's grown out of that stage thankfully and we no longer have to do that. I know a few moms whose kids got outside at night etc. You have to do what you can to keep them SAFE!!!! A SMALL CHILD SHOULD NOT BE WANDERING AROUND THE HOME AT NIGHT UNSUPERVISED hello!!
    luckymomof_3

Answer by luckymomof_3 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Locking anyone in their bedroom is always wrong no matter how old they are.

Answer by older at 4:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I think it's wrong on many different levels.... You should be up before he even wakes in the morning if you're worried about what he's going to get into. We have 3 boys, 6, 7 and 13 yrs old, when they were 3 I had to be one step ahead all the time, not use their room to babysit them so I could sleep..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I think the fact that someone turned you in, AND you actually have to ask -- should answer that question for you.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• This doesn't sound okay to me. If you are awake there is no reason your child should be locked in their bedroom. You should either be in there with them or they should be out somplace you can watch them. I guess sleeping with the door locked is okay, but I'd put a monitor in there so that when he wakes up you can get up with him. Your post says you only lock him in when he sleeps but then you say you leave him in there for an hour or more while he plays....doesn't really make sense. Parenting is a hands-on thing, it's not about locking a child in a room. That's my opinion...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't lock a child in a room, especially when everyone's asleep. What if there's a fire? Either get up before him and/or make sure everything is put up so he can't get into & hurt himself. If your sister turned you in to CPS, I'm sure they will have plenty of suggestions for you.
    Sandy1220

Answer by Sandy1220 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yes it's wrong.
    What happens if he gets hurt? Scared? Sick? Or has to potty?
    Or if there's a fire and he can't get out.
    It's rather effed up if you ask me.
    And leaving him in there AFTER you're awake because he hasn't asked to come out? WTF?
    UxorQuodMatris

Answer by UxorQuodMatris at 5:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• what is outside his room u dont want him getting into?!?!?!?! yes its wrong wth?? why dont u lock urself in?smh
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Heck yes that is wrong!!! What if there's a fire? What if he is sick? What if he needs to go to the bathroom?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I agree witheveryone else so far. Yes, it's wrong. It's one thing if you put him in there while you went potty for a minute or two, but for 1-2 hours is neglectful. You're the parent, you're supposed to supervise. He could easily get hurt, even if the room is baby-proofed. What if he has to potty? He wants to be with his parents, not in a room by himself for 1-2 hours. Why is he waking up before you and then you not getting up? When our son gets up, so do we, even if it's earlier than we want to get up. That's called being a parent.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 6:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2010