How many women here have had an abortion and don't regret it?

I see it all the time people on here saying don't get an abortion because you'll regret it. I had a very early abortion and I don't regret it. I think about who he/she would have been, but as far as wishing I could go back and keep it, I don't. Had situations been different, maybe things would have turned out better. But they were what they were and are still the same way 2 years later.

How many women here have used this option and DON'T REGRET it? Also if you're going to answer in a rude or insulting way, I will report you. I'm not looking for debates or opinions on the morality of abortion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Even when my doctors told me that there was no way my child would be "normal" and urged me to abort her, I refused. I would never kill my own child. You did what you had to do and I did what I had to do and my daughter is as normal as they come - above normal even. She is beautiful, makes straight As in school and has a talent for music and art. I understand that you made the decision you made because of your own circumstance and I don't judge you, but I just couldn't do it.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You know, I thought about it a lot when I first found out I was pregnant when I was 16. Had things been different and I didn't have as much support behind me, I probably would have. I can only imagine how life would have been different if I had... I could have gone into the Air Force and do college and all that like I had planned, but honestly, I'm glad I didn't. I like where I'm at now. I took the difficult path, but I ended up with some good rewards.

I'm glad things worked out for you for the better. To each their own, I believe
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 4:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My mother had one and doesn't regret it. She wouldn't have the life and KIDS she has TODAY if not for the choices she made THEN.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• it happens. i am sure they wouldn't do it if they felt they had an alternative that worked for them. if they do regret it then all these questions about it just brings up their old hurts. why be that mean? it's no one's business. i still like Dr Brian Weiss's philosophy that it's a contract between mom and baby that now isn't the right time to be born. The child can be born at a later date. No regrets with that philosophy. I think that's a healthy way to look at it.
    Anonymous

• I think that people should at least feel some remorse for taking the life of their child. Abortion is not a form of birth control, and if you cannot have a baby due to circumstances then they need to stay off their backs. The guilt is necessary, and not having any is a bad sign. I have never heard anybody say they didn't regret it before now.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Not having regret does NOT mean one wasn't guilty at the time. My mother had a very hard time with her decision. To look back she DOES NOT have regret though. She knows she made the right decision at the time, and everything worked out for the best.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I regret getting myself into a situation where I would have an unintended pregnancy, and I always think about what might have been...if I'd made the choice to keep it. But the father of that child is now married with his own, and I'm married with mine and we are both very happy....I regret the siuation and I feel guilt but I can't say I regret doing it.....
    Anonymous

• never had one but i was pregnant when i was 17 and had a 2nd timister miscarriage because the babys daddy was very abusive. I'm sadden that i lost a baby but also glad that i didnt bring a baby into the world where i couldnt take care of them and they would have had a crazy father that could sweet talk every cop in town. I don't believe in abortion but its not my place to judge and its not my body, i believe a women should do what she wants with her body. I had a friend that had an abortion adn till this day she regrets it because she cant have anymore children, the procedure went wrong or soemthing and she cant carry and babies to term.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• truealaskanmom - to assume that ANY woman has an abortion because she's using it as a form of birth control, and should just stay off her back is extremely ignorant. It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree, the fact remains that you cannot make a generalized statement like that and it be even remotely accurate. Birth control DOES fail, and a woman has a choice to end a pregnancy she was preventing in the first place (or any other reason for that matter). To say that she just shouldn't have had sex in the first place is laughable, and unrealistic. Of course if a woman was popping kids out left and right and giving them all up for adoption, no one would say she just needs to stay off her back...they'd be APPLAUDING her!

To answer the OP: I did regret it at first. I went into a DEEP depression and engaged in very self destructive behavior. But I healed in time, and now I don't have regret.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Anon :50- To say that she just shouldn't have had sex in the first place is laughable, and unrealistic.

Why? Because someone would actually have to take responsibility for their own actions? Yea, you're right- in today's society, that IS completely unrealistic!!

Adult actions come with adult consequences. I really wish people would grow up & realize this.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2010