Moved south, was treated badly by family, then moved north

I live in one of the hardest hit places by the recession. I was laid off in November and could never find a job, not even an entry level. When I emailed my dad in Midland, TX about my job loss, he invited me to stay with him until I got back on my feet. Just this month, I drove to Texas to stay with him. While there, he tore me apart because of not being financially successful like his son and he made me feel that I was less-than-zero. I already got a job within the one week that I was there, a grocery store clerk. However, within that first week, I was told to move out because my dad didn't want any tenants. I called my new job to let them know that I wasn't showing up to work. Soon after, I packed my car and returned north to where I originally lived. I sent a thank you card to the employer that hired me in Texas.

Jobs were always hard where I live and I was (and still am) married. Why couldn't my dad accept me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• He's a jerk

Answer by admckenzie at 4:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It sounds as if the problem is his. He should not have treated you that way, especially when he offered to "help you get back on your feet." Forgive him for his ignorance and move on, honey.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• He's not capable of empathy or something is wrong with a man that could treat his DD like this. Go on with your life, most of all forgive him as a gift to yourself, not for him. Keep your distance from him. Good luck hon and sorry you went that far and had to deal with this. Good luck ....

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• He sounds like my dad nothing you ever do is good enough. I just leave them where they are and work on my own life.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2010