Do you know the similarities between your beliefs and others?

We all seem to spend so much time in this area trying to debate the differences between our paths... Pagan, Christian, Atheist, Muslim, Jewish, Satanist, Scientologist... The list goes on forever...

All we ever seem to focus on is the things we disagree on. But do you ever try to learn what you actually have in common with one another?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We have our humanity in common with one another. WE are all one...we are all sharing the same energy as the universe. It doesn't matter what you believe, what matters is that we are here together, living this life together.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yes I have. I've made it a point to at least study most major religions lightly. There are a few exceptions of course. But most agree that there is an afterlife. Most agree that you have to be a good person to reach that afterlife. I think as long as we are living our life in a good way, we'll end up in that afterlife.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I love this question because I had never thought about it that way. I'm sure there is a parallel somewhere, something that we all agree on. I don't have a clue what it is! I try not to be so quick to argue but I am very sensitive about my beliefs being respected. I think alot of people are.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I don't know about beliefs or faiths, but I do know one thing there are many things we share in common. We are mothers, daughter, sisters, and wives. We all are capable of love and these things link us together despite our different opinions and views. Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yup. I actually prefer to focus on this, and my understanding of these similarities is one of the reasons I reject absolutism and exclusivity. It is the things we all have in common that I find to be the most meaningful - love, compassion, a sense of brotherhood and humanity...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yes all the time, We all seem to accept the golden rule, basic wrong and right ( ten commandments excepting one), we all seem to strive for the same goal of being good people. We also all seem worship the same entity/ies to some degree only using different names. That one is more complex to explain, but I learned it while doing a study with cmers as well people I knew. Some believe in the god almighty known be different names, some in many gods which if added together has the same quality traits as my god, some in inner power to still strive for righteousness or in my beliefs name the holy ghost. I believe in the end the core beliefs are the same we just whorship differently and use different names.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2010