Providing for my family OR spending time with them....

I only get to see my 2 children and my husband thursday-saturday because of my work schedule I work from 3pm to 3am sunday thru wed.. I have a 3 month old I feel like I have missed so much. Good paying jobs are hard to find. i don't know what to do, be able to provide for them or be able to be there more for them as a mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on your financial situation. If you got another job could you still afford your mortgage and basic necessities without putting your family through struggle? Is there any option of changing your working hours?

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• he is 3 months old. he won't notice you gone
    Anonymous

• pp thats really ignorant
    Anonymous

• oh my god - seriously anon? I can't believe a mom would ever say that, but anyway...

This is a personal choice - you have to do whats right for you. I have chosen to be a SAHM because I felt it was more important, even if we have to go without sometimes. Although I am lucky because my husband makes enough so that we can survive, we just don't have a lot leftover.

Jobs are hard to come by these days, have you tried looking for something new with a better schedule while continuing at your current job? Mabye if you had a better schedule but had to take a pay cut it would feel better for you...good luck to you.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• How about this...
    What do you want your kiddos to remember about you when their older?
    Do you want them to remember you always working and never being home except basically on the weekends?
    Or do you want them to remember you being there most of the time, helping them with homework and cooking etc...
    MarrsBar211989

Answer by MarrsBar211989 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I think that staying home and treasuring every little thing before the get too old is priceless, now if you need the $ to survive and provide for the basics that is a different story. But if your trading family time for luxuries, it is not worth it.

Answer by older at 5:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• If you are working to provide the necassities then keep working, if it is so you guys can have a family vacation then rethink it.

I can say that growing up my single mom was always working, except on weekends, and I hold no resentment of any kid, she worked so my sister and I could have the stuff we needed and some of what we wanted. Sure there were things she missed, but she gave those things up for us...not to hurt us...but she always made sure that the days she was home she was present in our live, yeah she cleaned and such but she would get up at 5 am every morning and clean so when we got up around 8-9 we were her focus.

Working and parenting can be done.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Find a better job with better hours. I would be so sad if I only got to see my baby 3 days a week.
    Anonymous