Exactly what does it mean?

This is what Republicans are saying....... "I ask unanimous consent to revise and extend my remarks in opposition to this flawed health bill".
Anyone know exactly what it means?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Asking for everyone's permission to edit previous remarks against the health bill.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Ok well, this still doesn't really explain it.
    Wow, all these rules are crazy and a bit silly. I can't imagine wanting to be in congress just because learning these rules is so daunting. LOL

INSERTING STATEMENTS IN THE RECORD

By Unanimous Consent or General Leave

WHY? (1)To insert a written statement in the Record after remarks actually made; or (2) to include remarks you would have made had debate time been available.

HOW? (1)Ensure the bill Manager has obtained General Leave for all Members; or (2) ask the Manager to yield for a unanimous consent request. If proceeding by unanimous consent, once recognized, say:

I ask unanimous consent to revise and extend my remarks in support of (or opposition to) the bill/amendment.

itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2010