My daughter is losing weight.

My 14 month old is not gaining enough weight; she is only 21 pounds now. She was at 50th percentile two months ago but she is at 25th percentile now, her weight when she born was 7 lbs and 2 ounces. She still nursing 2x per day but I think she does get enough but she doesn't like eat I offer her different healthy food but she only eat a little bite and prefer baby jar she doesn’t like cow milk. Now I am giving her organic formula for toddle mixing yogurt to chance the flavor, because I am worry that she still losing weight. Please any advice I appreciate you.

yolaa

Asked by yolaa at 5:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just because her percentile is dropping, it doesn't mean she is losing weight. Her growth may just be slowing down. My daughter was only 18 lbs. on her 2nd birthday. At 13 she is just 80 lbs. She really doesn't need formula any longer. Does she like yogurt? There are many ways for her to get enough calcium without drinking cow's milk. What did the pediatrician say about her weight? I'm sure they would have given you suggestions if they were concerned about her gaining more weight. Just make sure you expose her to many different types of foods and give her choices throughout each day. Most young kids, if given options, will eat a balanced diet naturally.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My daughter went from the 70th percentile, to the 25th, and now she's a year old and isn't even on the charts for weight. The pediatrician said that as long as she doesn't actually LOSE weight and her height stays proportionate to her weight (she's in the 5th percentile for weight), she is fine. If your doctor told you to worry I would, but other than that I'm sure she's fine! Btw, my daughter is 1 and she only weighs 16lbs 5oz. (7lbs 11oz at birth). As for the cow's milk, maybe you have to offer it to her a few more times? My daughter refused it at first but now she guzzles it down when I give it to her warmed up:-)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I meant the 5th percentile for height...
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I have been there. My daughter just turned 2 and a few months ago and has finally started eating food. She always refused food and is still below the 5th percentile. Yogurt was good, spoonfuls of peanut butter have a lot of calories, we also made her smoothies that she liked to drink through a straw with bananas, strawberries, whole milk and this stuff called pedia smart which is an organic high calorie/vitamin powder in the baby section of a natural food store. Maybe you could sneak dairy in a smoothie? Guacamole and peas still frozen were her only veggies.This was pretty much it besides a few bits of a rice cake or something. We were sent to specialists and nutritionists, blood draws, nothing was wrong with her..she just didn't like eatiing. At 22 months he just started eating and has gained a lot of weight(that's when I weaned). They got us really concerned, and I wish I had just trusted that she would be fine.
    mandelion8

Answer by mandelion8 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2010