Why is it "sin" to self satisfy a natural, instinctual, chemically triggered sexual response?

I am NOT, repeat: NOT questioning that some (of mainly christian religious sects) consider it to be a sin. That has already been stated.

What I would like to know is WHY it is considered a sin.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 5:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• it's not a sin in itself, the fantasies that come with it is a sin. especially if you're married and fantasize about another person, its' lusting and already infidelity, in God's eyes.

now, if you're husband for some reason can't be there for you in that way, i.e. he's out of town, deployed, in the hospital, ect, i think as long as you are fantasizing about your husband only then that's ok. nobody can tell you that for sure, not even the "experts".

Anonymous

• Nowhere in the Bible is masturbation called sin, it is having thoughts of a person not one's spouse that debases the act.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Certain people take the verse about go forth and multiple or what ever it is to the extremes saying that sperm shouldn't be wasted. Some think that it's a sin because the man (or woman) is fantasizing and those fantasies aren't always the wife/hubby therefore they are coveting.

Anonymous

• lex- not picking a fight, I realize that it is not stated in the text. but it is a belief that a lot of christians hold- that the ACT its self, is a sin.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• i wouldnt figure it to be a sin... my goodnss, its better then doing the real deal. Especially if your saving urself til marriage or even just that one special person.
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I don't think it's a sin I just don't like it. Sorry 31angelmommy, but I have to disagree that it's better then doing the real deal. Perhaps if one is saving themselves for marriage, yes, but I prefer the real thing over self-inflicted pleasure. If I can't have the real thing becasue hubby is out of town, I just go without.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It's not a sin, and whomever said it was is lying.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It's thought of as a sin because of Biblical verses being taken wrong. The main story to be taken wrong is when Onan goes to his brother's widow and has sex with her and "spills his seed". It's the main claim against ANY form of BC (including the use of masturbation) when it comes to Christianity and BC. God gets pissed and slays him for it.
    Anonymous

• It's not you just are supposed to get married first. I think it is more for protection than it really being wrong. God just doesn't want people having sex with everyone and spreading STDs and having kids you wont take care of. I am a Christian and got pregnant unmarried. I feel that it was okay because I love the man. We are engaged and have been together for three years. We are good parents and good to each other. I also find it hard to believe that God is up there shaking his head at us.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I will try and explain it all if you are interested. It may take awhile though. If you don't want to hear a really really long explanation of sin please tell me now so I don't have to cripple my hand from typing lol.
    Anonymous