Is it healthy for a 13 year old girl to drop a lot of weight in less than 3 monthes?

My daughter use to be friends with this girl and didn't see her all summer? The girl was always a little chunky and is now very thin. When school started kids were surprise at how skinny she had gotten. Many kids asked her how she got so skinny and she said that she's been exercising and eating healthy. I also know that she was having problems with her best friend and her parents were going through a divorse.

prettybaby1

Asked by prettybaby1 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• IF she lost the weight the way she said she did, then it is fine. IF she lost the weight through binging/purging or starving or any other horrible eating disorder manners...then no it is not healthy.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It is very normal at that age. When girls hit puberty at its peak their metabolism will take off and a chunky girl will get downright skinny, it can happen in reverse as well a skinny girl can pack on weight too. I wouldn't worry about it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I agree with truealaskanmom.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I agree with admckenzie and truelaskanmom. Also take into consideration, perhaps this young lady gained some height in this same time period as well.
    Anonymous

• Well actually she did not grow much either, she use to me one of taller girls, but now she is average or maybe even shorter
    prettybaby1

Answer by prettybaby1 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Stress can increase weight loss, especially when combined with the intent to be thinner. How much is too much? Don't know but healthy in the past was 2-3 # per month after an intial drop the first week of starvation. One of my twins never eats breakfast and I walk out and hand him a breakfast bar (he always chooses the oats and honey; ( less calories, yet my favorite too), his brother eats all the time and has food on the brain and thinks exercise is what he does when the coach says once around the track is all he needs. ...My question is how to have one be healthier with less food and more exercise and the other one the exact opposite?
    satire

Answer by satire at 1:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I knew a few friends when I was a kid who went through that. Sometimes a little bit of change is all they need to lose the few extra pounds. I'd just be happy for her. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree with puberty. I dropped a ton of weight around 14 just by exercising a little more. It happens.
    Anonymous

• My 12 year old niece was getting chunky for awhile there, but then school started again, she got back into playing basketball and she also had a growth spurt. She is really thin now. Not grossingly skinny, but she has a thin, athletic body. As long as this girl isn't losing crazy amounts of weight or getting really scary bony, she is ok. Plus, stress (problems with her friend, her parents divorce) could play a part in it.
    Anonymous