How Can I Tell If DD Has A UTI? (Possibly TMI)

So I can't take her to her ped, cause he is 3 hours away from where I'm now living, and we have tricare, so I can only switch her dr twice a year. And I will be switching her ped again in August. Anyways, so She is 17 months, and the last few days the inside of her lips have been red. No rash, no redness on the outside. Just the inside of her lips. And she hates it now when I try to wipe the inside. Soooo what could it be? And is there any natural remedies I can try at home? Thanks mamas. :) And any idea what caused it if it is?

Sparta.

Asked by Sparta. at 5:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• you take her to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• could be a yeast infection.

there's no way to tell with a child other than a dr. If you aren't willing to take her to her peds office, try an urgent care center, last resort you could use the ER but since it's not an emergency, you may be turned away.
    Anonymous

• they have yeast infection kits at the pharmacy. I'd call the doctor and ask him what to look for
    Anonymous

• I'd run warm saline water over her or have her sit in some warm water and soak to see if that helps. I wouldn't wipe it inside. That might be irritating it. You might be wiping too hard and causing the redness. No one has been at her to touch her inappropriately in there have they?
    Anonymous

• Oh NO! Anon 45. It's just me and her at home every day ALL day. Daddy is deployed, so nope, just us. Thank you for the tips though and the actual help besides saying take her to the dr. :) I'm 34 weeks pregnant, I have an unreliable truck, and a 6 hour round trip doesn't sound like a good thing to me. If it doesn't get better in a couple days we will be going to urgent care for lack of a better idea. Tonight is bath night, so we'll definitely be trying ypur suggestion. :)
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 6:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Feed her some yogurt, and you can use grape seed extract, it's heavily diluted. You can also use womans vag cream.
    Anonymous

• Thanks Anon 09! I will have to make sure thats her snack before bed. She loves yogurt. :)
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 7:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Try acidophilus (sp?). I use to get yeast infections a lot as a kid (I'm really sensitive to fruits) and yogurt wasn't strong enough for me. Acidophilus is the active cultures that your body makes and the same thing thats in yogurt, but you can take it directly instead of having to eat the yogurt. Also, try to stay away from fruits because that could be causing it also. If anything, try a diaper rash cream and see how that works.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 10:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2010