Help my 4 year old hit me! what should i do?

My oldest baby just turn 4 on 3-16. She is a sweet heart and caring and kind and did I say smart? Just yesterday she tells me "look , Mmm-Ooo-Mmm MOM." That's why I can't get over this attitude she has been giving me! She hit me on my arm and has been rude and it just makes me cry inside. I spanked her had and she just gave me this look, omg I could not believe my eyes! I told her she was grounded and she can't play her DS for a week. I don't know what to do, is this what I have to look forward to? Please help, someone tell me this is just a phase.

baby-cakes

Asked by baby-cakes at 6:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you can't discipline hitting with more hitting. It sends the wrong signals. "I can hit you but you can't hit me'. get down to her level, explain that it is not ok and that there will be repercussions for it. Warning first, then punishment. It is probably a phase and they normally last 3-4 wks but don't let you get the impression that her acting out is ok.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• um maybe slap her hand and asked her if it hurt and she will say yes and then tell her why it isnt okay to hit back, you might have to try it a few times but good luck, im dealing with the same thing with my 2 yr old
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• She's 4 she has no concept of not playing with ds for a week. (No concept of time) Punishments shouldn't last more than 4 MINUTES not a week anyway. I won't even go into the ludicrousness of you hitting her to teach her not to hit. All that did was tell her hitting was OK. It's simple. Grab her arm (gently but firmly ) when she hits and tell her it's not nice to hit. The next time tell her No HItting. Reinforce it with words until she understands. But YOU have to stop hitting too for her to learn it.

Anonymous

• I think the spanking its self will send the warning. Banning her from her sister won't do much at all, she won't understand. She lashed out once, it doesn't mean that she is going to do it again. focus and her positive behavior and reinforce that. she is 4, she is learning, keep that in mind.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I'm a women of God and the good Lord says "spare the rod, spoil the child. I believe on spanking my kids, not beating them but giving them a good spanken. She should understand that she is a child and she can't do everything I do. I drink soda and put makeup on and dye my hair, I'm not going to stop doing those things just because she is not able to do those things right now. I don't want to give her the idea that she is an adult and she can do what I can.
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 6:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Spanking is fine..YOUR the adult and she is the child..she must learn that...My daughter has only hit me once...She has never tried again
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• whop her and dont put her in time out cause that not going work take it from me all she going say i want get ouut of time out or start crying and that dont work get a slipper and whrop cus i noe yall whrite people dont hit yall child with belts but go head and get a belt and let her see how it feel and she if she will hit you again cus my lil brother use to hit meon my booty and do he do that now hell no he is 4 he just turn 4 3-10i agree with the person that said dont punish your child for a week you being to hard on her but do what i saw show her a belt and if she hit you again let her see how it feel and if it work tell otha people to use it also and it dont make your child have buriseing it is just teaching dem how to be gud and if it work tell all your other friends or family members too oh yea and dey said dont wrop your child after the age of 13 bout yoh noe people still wrop dey kids ova 13 and i am only 17 year old
    ashleykobi152

Answer by ashleykobi152 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2010